Select to view content in your preferred language

How to mix editing capabilities for different layers?

Jump to solution
05-31-2024 08:38 AM
AngelaEngland1
New Contributor II

Hello, I am trying to set up my web map application to allow users to edit geometry of some layers but only attributes of other layers.

I tried the Instant Apps Sidebar but it allows editing of all layers' geometries, which is unacceptable for my project.  

I tried Instant Apps Manager but that won't allow searches of anything but addresses (not parcel owner names, etc.).

I tried Experience Builder Data Collector, but it appears that editing must be the same option for all layers: either attribute only or attributes and geometries.  This won't work for me, as I need the parcel layers to be attribute only and the alerts to be both attribute and geometry.

Is there another Experience Builder setup that anyone can recommend that includes better editing options, or should I just go back to Web App Builder for this summer again?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AngelaEngland1 Please see this relayed topic: Solved: Re: 'Edit' widget ignores capabilities - Esri Community Keep in mind that while you may be configuring the apps for specific editing privileges, if you own the layer or are an admin, you may still be able to perform those edits yourself but your end-users should be restricted to they own user type/role privileges.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AngelaEngland1 Please see this relayed topic: Solved: Re: 'Edit' widget ignores capabilities - Esri Community Keep in mind that while you may be configuring the apps for specific editing privileges, if you own the layer or are an admin, you may still be able to perform those edits yourself but your end-users should be restricted to they own user type/role privileges.

0 Kudos
AngelaEngland1
New Contributor II

Thank you for the response, @AlixVezina

Does that mean I should set up the ExperienceBuilder DataCollector Edit settings to both Attributes and Geometry, and then the web map settings that are more restrictive for some layers will override the app settings?  

0 Kudos
AngelaEngland1
New Contributor II

I think I replied too soon.  I explored it some more and think this solves it. 

Thank you again for your help.  🙂

AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

Hi @AngelaEngland1 ,

You can configure the map to layer attributes in the web map detail page, open your map in ArcGIS online and then click Settings -> Web Map, then browse to Application Settings. If you configure your map to search your layer, you will be able to search by your layer attributes in Manager Instant app. Only thing is you won't be able to edit geometry in Manager at this moment but it is in our road map

AzizaParveen1_0-1717189187809.png

AngelaEngland1
New Contributor II

@AzizaParveen1 Thank you for the response.  I am glad it is in the road map for InstantApps Manager.  🙂

I have each of the layers set up in the MapViewer with the search settings that I want, searching multiple fields on multiple layers (PropID, OwnerName24, OwnerSoldName24, PropName, etc.).  The interface to set it up within Map Viewer is much easier to navigate than the Settings page on the main map.  It would be ideal if the apps could pull from the settings in MapViewer rather than having to go through setting all these up yet again on that main map settings page.  I have gone to great pains to get everything set up exactly the way I want it in MapViewer and was hoping all the downstream apps could pull from there!

0 Kudos
AngelaEngland1
New Contributor II

I think I typed too soon.  I believe it the ExperienceBuilder DataCollector will do what I need it to.

0 Kudos