How to export data table with description value, not coded value for fields with domains

08-19-2022 04:02 PM
LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

I have the Feature Info widget in my EB application and it shows the data records of a hosted feature layer.  When using the Export Records action of that widget, the exported CSV file shows the codes and not the descriptions for fields that have domains.  Is there a way to make the CSV export table contain the description instead of the code for those fields?  My application users will be confused by the code values that get exported.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you on pro?
https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/environment-settings/transfer-domain-descrip...

There is also this in ArcMap 10.6.1

forestknutsen1_0-1660957194936.png

Looks like it is for dxf files but once you get to this format you could then go to csv.

Lastly, FME does a nice job with this sort of problem. If you have access to that I would use it first.

0 Kudos
LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

While this would be a fix under other circumstances, my specific workflow does not involve using geoprocessing tools in ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap.  In my situation, I am relying on the data export functionality within  ArcGIS Experience Builder and ArcGIS Online, where I have not been able to find a setting that would accomplish what your reply describes.  The folks who will be using the web application have no GIS experience and the data must be exported to them in its final, easy to interpret format.

I feel like I must be missing something in Experience Builder or AGOL - Esri must have something in there to accomplish this.  Right?

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Ah, I understand. I wonder if you could create a derived description field in the source data or with Arcade as a last resort.

LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

I sure hope not but that may be what I am forced to do.  I'll likely hit up Esri Tech Support in a couple days to see what they know about it.

0 Kudos
LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

I noticed a curious thing about this issue at the end of the day yesterday.  If I create an application from Web AppBuilder that includes my hosted feature layer and includes the Table widget, and I export all the records to CSV from the table, then value descriptions (not codes) are in the output CSV. 

This is exactly what I want.  Except that there was a reason why I didn't use Web AppBuilder in the first place - cannot remember that reason at the moment, so I don't plan to attempt recreating the application in Web AppBuilder.

It would be great if Experience Builder had parity with Web AppBuilder with regard to attribute table exporting to CSV.

0 Kudos