How to create a dynamic URL based on string + attribute value in an Embed Widget

Jump to solution
11-18-2021 07:00 AM
KeithFraley1
New Contributor II

I am having a devil of time creating what should be really simple and is indeed simple in operations dashboard.  We want to use the embed widget to host dynamic urls (base url + attribute field) that change based selections on a map or table or list...

I cant figure out how to do this, it seems the entire url string must be entered into the attribute field for it to work.

Can you anyone help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
  1. Make sure the widget is connected to the data.
  2. Start typing your URL
  3. Click the database icon and select the attribute you want to pipe in.

jcarlson_0-1637248610811.png

That should be all you need. If this doesn't work, please post back what you're seeing, and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
  1. Make sure the widget is connected to the data.
  2. Start typing your URL
  3. Click the database icon and select the attribute you want to pipe in.

jcarlson_0-1637248610811.png

That should be all you need. If this doesn't work, please post back what you're seeing, and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KeithFraley1
New Contributor II

its really strange, this works as long as the url doesnt have query string parameters,  if it does, it seems to be stripping them out

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is it possible to give an example of the URL you're trying to put into the widget? I can get parameters to work just fine.

Also, what version of Experience Builder are you using? Portal, AGOL, EB Developer?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KeithFraley1
New Contributor II

apparently it is stripping out the specific term 'token' out of the query string, strange

0 Kudos
LaraJuliussonUSFS
New Contributor II

@jcarlson - Hi Josh, I found this post and I am having the same issue as Keith was. I am using Experience Builder on AGOL. I am trying to embed a Web Map app. I went into the web app and added the Share widget to find out the structure of the query that I need to show the web app the way I want. It is this:

https://MyWebAppURL&query=USA_Wildfires_v1_8284%2CIncidentName%2CBOLT%20CREEK Note that if I enter this full url (with the correct url for my app) the web map app comes up in the embed widget as I want.

I then type into the embed widget Embed by URL box the url without the query value:

https://MyWebAppURL&query=USA_Wildfires_v1_8284%2CIncidentName%2C

then I go to the data insert button below the URL text box and select data from the result of a query, which I know is returning "Bolt Creek" (I've confirmed this by showing it in a text widget). The URL after I've done this looks like:

https://MyWebAppURL&query=USA_Wildfires_v1_8284%2CIncidentName%2C{Incident Name}. When I enter, all I get in the embedded widget area is the URL itself.

LaraJuliussonUSFS_0-1672257932184.png

Any ideas? I'd be extremely appreciative if you could help me!

Lara

0 Kudos