Select to view content in your preferred language

How Do I Create a "Back" button so users can return to the previous extent

Jump to solution
a week ago
SunniBoulton
New Contributor III

Hi folks,

I assume this is pretty simple but can't work it out for the life of me and it's driving me crazy!!

I have set a Message Trigger so upon selection of an item from a List, the map zooms to it.

How can I get it to zoom back ie return to the previous extent ??!!

Thanks very much,

Sunni

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

I think the best way to achieve this is to work with two similar maps. When the user selects an item in the list next to map 1 that shows an overview, the user is presented with map 2 that zooms to the object. In this map, or close to it, there can be a button that switches back to map 1, which is still in the overview mode.

Here is an example app that uses one variation of what I described above: Community World Carbon Footprint (arcgis.com)

Another option is to use the home extent button in the map as a back button but that is not very user friendly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@SunniBoulton Another option would be to enable the Extent Navigate tool from the Map widget tools so you can go back and forth between different extents of the map that you've explored.

AlixVezina_0-1722978063802.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

I think the best way to achieve this is to work with two similar maps. When the user selects an item in the list next to map 1 that shows an overview, the user is presented with map 2 that zooms to the object. In this map, or close to it, there can be a button that switches back to map 1, which is still in the overview mode.

Here is an example app that uses one variation of what I described above: Community World Carbon Footprint (arcgis.com)

Another option is to use the home extent button in the map as a back button but that is not very user friendly.

0 Kudos
SunniBoulton
New Contributor III

Thanks for your prompt reply Andreas, at least I can move forward now!

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@SunniBoulton Another option would be to enable the Extent Navigate tool from the Map widget tools so you can go back and forth between different extents of the map that you've explored.

AlixVezina_0-1722978063802.png

0 Kudos
SunniBoulton
New Contributor III

Thank you - that's a great idea - I knew it would be simple!

AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

Great tip, I did not know that.

0 Kudos