Select to view content in your preferred language

Filter Widget issue with Unique source type when using merged symbols

07-12-2024 06:02 AM
FranklinAlexander
Occasional Contributor III

I am using merged symbols for a feature layer for displaying the data in my data source (Web map), but this is causing an issue when using the same field in my Filter expression. I want to use Unique values for my source type, but it seems like the merged fields are preventing all of the unique values from showing up in the menu:

Merged symbols.PNG

I have two values merged for the Hand Launch and Airboat symbols in the web map.

Filter Menu.PNG

This causes unwanted behavior in my Filter widget. I seems as though the widget is coded to take the field values from the symbology rather than the layer which is kind of weird. Is there a checkbox some place I am missing, or has any one else had the same issue and knows of a work-around. I know I could probably added another layer just for Filtering and maybe try and add an action to Filter the displayed layer, but that is a lot of extra data and processing and adds an extra level of complexity that seems a little over the top. Looking for better suggestions.

I also tried using predefined values with 'contains' and only the last values shows up in the menu:

Predefined values.PNGFilter Menu with predefined.PNG

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ke_Xu
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi FranklinAlexander,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will look into it. 

I'll keep you posted when the results are in.

Thanks,

Ke

Thanks,

Ke

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

@FranklinAlexander 

The reason you're seeing the behavior is because -

ExB Filter unique values are distinguished by the "values", but we also need to display the labels (say if the code is 1,2,3, etc., users won't know what is what). Even though they show the same label, they are different two values. Something like this:

TonghuiMing_0-1724318713173.png

That would explain the first two screen shots.

However, I am still a bit confused why you'd get one using the pre-defined case. They shall always show whatever you configure, like this:

TonghuiMing_1-1724318849689.png

Is it possible to provide some sample app for us to check? Thanks,

Tonghui

0 Kudos