Select to view content in your preferred language

[edited for clarity] Possible bug/improvement: AGOL configured group layer item type fails to transfer layer configuration, takes source instead

Jump to solution
07-29-2024 07:22 AM
ECJRIJS
Occasional Contributor

Dear Developers,

The group layer item type (as described here) is a great way to quickly build maps. And above all, it is supported when users want to add data through the add data widget in a configured experience. However, this does not transfer grouplayer configurations as set-up in AGOL (layer visibility scales, changed layer titles, etc) but the configuration from the source. I have provided screenshots to illustrate this possible bug/improvement.

Image 1: Group layer set-up as in ArcGIS online, this configuration is altered by us in AGOL as the source uses less user friendly map configurations. (Feature names, scale levels, attribute colors, etc)

ECJRIJS_0-1722407296576.png

Image 2: When the group layer is added by the end-user (through the add data widget) the less user friendly configuration of the source is used.

ECJRIJS_1-1722407603000.png

On a content management side I would like to transfer my user centered configured layers to layer groups. In my organisation not all sources we use are our own thus in many cases it is necessary to alter layer configuration in AGOL to be user friendly.

Thanks!

ECJRIJS 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Just providing an update: this was indeed a bug and we'll have it fixed in Experience Builder with the upcoming ArcGIS Online update (Oct-Nov timeframe).

Thank you for reporting this!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@ECJRIJS When you configure the Group Layer in the map, it is possible the style changes you have made are only saved into the map itself and not at the layer item (source) level.

You will need to save any changes you made in the map (layer visibility scales, changed layer titles, etc.), against the layer itself; or you can also save it as a new layer if you don't want to overwrite the source layer styling.

To save your changes from the map to the source layer, got to the layer Properties panel. See for example below.

AlixVezina_2-1722450957512.png

Once the changes are saved against the source layer, they should also be brought in when you add the layer using the Add Data widget.

0 Kudos
ECJRIJS
Occasional Contributor

Hi @AlixVezina,

Maybe that I understood it wrong but I was not able to reproduce your solution.

The steps I followed are:

1. The source layer has the KRTP_V_STADSDELEN naming, different symbiology and scale levels (naming as seen in the second screenshot of the original post). I will have to make my own webmap as I have no rights to change names, symbiology, etc in this layer.
  2. So within AGOL I make a WebMap based on the source layer. In this WebMap I configure the names etc (as seen in the first screenshot of the original post)
  3. Within the WebMap I save the grouped layer as a seperate group layer item as you also describe in your post. When I check the group layer item it has the naming and configuration as set in the WebMap I made in step 2.
  4. However, when I add this group layer item in ExB (with the add data widget) it takes the configuration from the source layer (step 1) and not from the WebMap I based the group layer item on (step 2).

I think my question is if this is working it is supposed to be working? And can you reproduce this with adding data through the experience builder widget.

Thanks for the help,

ECJRIJS

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@ECJRIJS This sounds like it may be a bug. Are you able to share the any of the above so we can take a look? Publicly or via a group? Feel free to send me a direct message.

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Just providing an update: this was indeed a bug and we'll have it fixed in Experience Builder with the upcoming ArcGIS Online update (Oct-Nov timeframe).

Thank you for reporting this!

0 Kudos