Select to view content in your preferred language

EB Map widget not showing popup after the first one

Jump to solution
08-02-2024 01:56 PM
Labels (1)
fdeters
New Contributor III

I'm looking for help with a mystifying bug: I have an Experience Builder app with 3 pages, which all have the same basic structure:

• Header
  • Body
    • Sidebar
      • Content in side panel
        • Edit widget and/or List inside a Section, depending on the page
      • Map in main panel

All three pages use the same Web Map for their Map widget, and the widget settings are identical:

fdeters_0-1722630233555.png

However, I'm seeing strange behavior in the Map widget on Page 1 (the same behavior is not happening in the Map widgets on pages 2 or 3):

1. I select a feature on the map for the first time. The popup shows up like it should.
  2. I select a different feature on the map. The popup for the first feature closes, and a second new one does not appear.
  3. I select a third feature on the map. No popup opens. (You can repeat this step as many times as you want, nothing changes as far as I can tell).
  4. I click somewhere else without a feature to de-select the last feature.
  5. Repeat from Step 1

Basically, popups don't show except for the first one. De-selecting a feature and then selecting a new feature resets it.

The behavior happens most consistently when I focus on the features from a specific point-based layer. The Map widget on Page 1 also seems to take much longer and be less accurate than the maps on pages 2 and 3 when selecting features from that layer.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fdeters
New Contributor III

This was a journey... When an Edit widget was in "Geometry and attribute" mode, it blocked popups from appearing for the connected layer I was trying to edit in the connected Map widget. When I switched to "Attribute only" mode, it stopped blocking popups.

That was a little problematic, since this app needs to let users add new points to the layer. My solution was to reorganize the app so the functionality of the three Pages was instead handled by a set of Views on Page 1. Then, I set up Page 2 with a Map widget and an Edit widget in "Geometry and attribute" mode so users can add new points to the map without interfering with popup behavior on Page 1.

It would be great if the "Geometry and attribute" mode Edit widget didn't block popups (unless you're actively creating new features).

---

Update: I realized that my issue is related to the one described here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/how-do-i-deactivate-the-edit-featu...

Putting the Edit widget inside a Widget Controller isn't ideal for my UI, but it does solve the problem of popups not showing up because "edit mode" is active.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fdeters
New Contributor III

I found out what's causing the problem, but I'm not sure why or how to fix it (or if it's actually the expected behavior). Here's what I found:

• Each of my three Pages had an Edit widget. It turns out that all of these Edit widgets were connected to the same layer from the Map widget on Page 1.
  • When I re-configured the Edit widget on Page 2 to use the layer from the Map widget on Page 2, popups on that Map widget started having the same issue I describe in the original post.
  • Therefore, I assume the issue I described above is because the Edit widget on Page 1 was connected to the Map widget on Page 1.

So, does that mean that when an Edit widget is active and connected to a layer from a Map widget on the same page, popups will stop showing for that layer? I can sort of see why that might have been implemented, since the Edit widget and the popup show similar information. In my case, though, the Edit form has been customized, and so has the popup, so they show different information and should both be visible at the same time. 

Is there any way to configure around this issue?

0 Kudos
fdeters
New Contributor III

This was a journey... When an Edit widget was in "Geometry and attribute" mode, it blocked popups from appearing for the connected layer I was trying to edit in the connected Map widget. When I switched to "Attribute only" mode, it stopped blocking popups.

That was a little problematic, since this app needs to let users add new points to the layer. My solution was to reorganize the app so the functionality of the three Pages was instead handled by a set of Views on Page 1. Then, I set up Page 2 with a Map widget and an Edit widget in "Geometry and attribute" mode so users can add new points to the map without interfering with popup behavior on Page 1.

It would be great if the "Geometry and attribute" mode Edit widget didn't block popups (unless you're actively creating new features).

---

Update: I realized that my issue is related to the one described here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/how-do-i-deactivate-the-edit-featu...

Putting the Edit widget inside a Widget Controller isn't ideal for my UI, but it does solve the problem of popups not showing up because "edit mode" is active.

0 Kudos