Select to view content in your preferred language

Displaying the same dynamic content from multiple map layers in the same space

a week ago
GillisLowry
New Contributor

I am creating a visualization of exoplanets across the night sky. Clicking on a planet symbol on the map should return text and images about the planets orbiting that star.

However, I was hoping to have multiple layers so that users can toggle between all exoplanets, habitable zone–only, rocky habitable zone–only, and planets that are rocky/habitable zone/old enough to have advanced intelligence. I was using layers rather than filters so that users can compare the different lists directly ("all exoplanets" has cyan symbols and "habitable zone" has green symbols, so you can see both at once if you turn both layers on).

Because I have four different layers, I'm having trouble displaying information next to the map. The dynamic text/images/links only allow me to select data from one layer. I'd like the information to appear in the same place regardless of what layer the user has selected.

My work-around for text was to have four different dynamic inputs in the same text box, corresponding to each of the four layers, and to have them default to a blank space when nothing from their layer is selected. But there's no similar work-around I could find for images; I can't place four images in the same place, because there's no ability to make the box they appear in transparent when nothing is selected.

Here's an example of my Experience Builder map below. Next to the name of the selected planetary system, you can see that I've highlighted one of the blank spaces from my aforementioned work-around. At the bottom right I'm hoping to include more images via links (ex. "https://something.com/{HostStarName}" ), but I can't link multiple layers to {HostStarName}.

Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 7.06.59 PM.png

Hopefully my issue here makes sense. Is there some sort of work-around I'm missing here? Is there some sort of way to make images/widgets invisible when not selected, or some sort of custom widget out there that might help?

Here's a link to a draft of my map: https://arcg.is/0nrDGG1

Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GillisLowry
New Contributor

By the way, the dynamic content I'm trying to retrieve always has the same column name in each layer (such as {HostStarName}). But I have no method of selecting multiple layers at once to retrieve from, as far as I can tell.

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@GillisLowry I am wondering if having all your planets in one layer, with unique symbology for each type, and using filters may still simplify your task...

But an option you may have for resenting your data dynamically would be to leverage Arcade in popups in Map Viewer and then using the Feature Info widget in Experience Builder to see the popup dynamically when a planet is selected. 

Maybe I misunderstand what you are trying to do; being able to see the data in the web map may help if you are able to share it.

0 Kudos