Cross-Env is not Recognized as an Internal or External Command

03-04-2022 01:16 PM
NathanHeickLACSD
Occasional Contributor III

Good Afternoon,

I'm trying to test Experience Builder before the Developer Summit and I am having an issue.  I was able to get through the documentation for the server install.  For the client install, when I go to run npm start, I get the following:

C:\Users\nathanheick\Documents\ArcGISExperienceBuilder\client>npm start

> exb-client@1.7.0 start
> cross-env NODE_ENV=development webpack --mode development --watch

'cross-env' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Has anyone else encountered this before?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NathanHeickLACSD

I think that npm ci must have failed and the node_modules directory was empty.  I was running it from PowerShell and I thought it succeeded.  Now, I am running it from the Command Prompt and getting two main varieties of errors related to our network security settings.  First, there is a certificate error:

npm ERR! code UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY
npm ERR! errno UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY
npm ERR! request to https://r.cnpmjs.org/cssfilter/download/cssfilter-0.0.10.tgz failed, reason: unable to get local issuer certificate

I was able to fix that by running the command:

npm config set strict-ssl false

I don't know if that is very wise, but I will return it back to true in a minute.  The second type of error is:

npm ERR! code E403
npm ERR! 403 403 Forbidden - GET https://r.cnpmjs.org/cssfilter/download/cssfilter-0.0.10.tgz
npm ERR! 403 In most cases, you or one of your dependencies are requesting
npm ERR! 403 a package version that is forbidden by your security policy, or
npm ERR! 403 on a server you do not have access to.

I think our security policy is blocking .tgz and .bz2 files.

0 Kudos
JenniferMoczygemba1
New Contributor II

Hello, we are encountering this exact same issue. Any updates on how it was resolved? Thanks.

0 Kudos
NathanHeickLACSD

Good Morning Jennifer,

I will be honest with you.  It's been a long time since the DevSummit and I haven't used Experience Builder since then.  As best as I can remember, there were various issues related to our network settings that were making it difficult to setup at work.  It would probably take a lot of troubleshooting to figure out.  However, I believe there is an offline installation process that you can follow that works perfectly.  You can also try to do the setup on your home computer without all of the network restrictions and it will work properly.  I believe I did the offline installation at the office before going to the DevSummit and then retried the online installation at the DevSummit and it worked on the conference wi-fi.

0 Kudos