Coordinate Conversion widget in wrong hemisphere

12-07-2023 02:48 PM
KatieHansen_NIFCAdmin
New Contributor III

Hi @AlixVezina @Jianxia 
I’m configuring the Coordinate Conversion widget so a user can enter in a set of coordinates, zoom in to that exact location, and add a new feature using the edit widget. I believe I have configured the input so the user enters in coordinates in Degrees Decimal Minutes (DDM) like this: Y°‎ A'N, X°‎ B'W, specifically in the Western hemisphere since the default is Eastern. However, when I paste in a set of coordinates (e.g. coordinates copied from the Coordinates widget) it automatically takes me to the Eastern hemisphere. Am I missing a step in the configuration or is this a bug?

Example: The Coordinates widget gives me this set of coordinates: 37°34.617′ 119°40.667′; I paste this into the Coordinate Conversion widget and get this: 37°‎ 34.617000'N, 119°‎ 40.667000'E

If I were to delete the "E" and replace it with "W", or remove the E and put a "-" in front of the longitude it will zoom to the correct location. I would prefer that the users receive the correct location immediately, though.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bdoventures
New Contributor III

it sounds like the coordinates widget is giving you a positive longitude in the eastern hemisphere.  Is that correct?  What output system are you using for that widget?  Does it match what you're using for the conversion widget?

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

It looks like you have found a bug in the Coordinates Widget. When set to degrees decimal minutes, the coordinates displayed do not have +/- or N/S/E/W indicators. By standard geographic conventions, the Eastern and Northern hemispheres are positive and the Western and Southern hemispheres are negative, so the Coordinate Conversion Widget is behaving rationally sending you to the wrong hemisphere.

I would suggest switching your display units on the Coordinates Widget to something else. The other options do not seem to have this issue. And also, make a case with ESRI support about the inaccurate display units for degrees decimal minutes in the Coordinates Widget.

JeffreyThompson2_0-1702043984274.png

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
KatieHansen_NIFCAdmin
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply! Degrees Decimal Minutes was not chosen arbitrarily - it is the standard format used in wildland fire and aviation. 
I'll put in a new tech support case, thanks!

0 Kudos
SubaKrishnan
Esri Contributor

Hi @KatieHansen_NIFCAdmin I'm the Product owner of the coordinate conversion widget. It looks like the issue is with the coordinate widget. I understand your workflow is to input the coordinates in coordinate conversion widget but am wondering the use case for getting coordinates from coordinate widget instead of using the add point feature in coordinate conversion widget?

0 Kudos
KatieHansen_NIFCAdmin
New Contributor III

Hi @SubaKrishnan 
Thank you for your message! I am tracking the new "BUG-000163706: Experience Builder Coordinate widget provides the wrong coordinates in Degrees Decimal Minute" regarding this issue. I will use the Coordinate Conversion widget without the Coordinates widget as an input.

I do have another case open related to the conversion widget that addresses the settings of the coordinate input format, but, as is, if I ask my users to input the coordinates in a specific format it will send them to the correct location. 

SubaKrishnan
Esri Contributor

Hi @KatieHansen_NIFCAdmin I did some research, and this coordinate conversion widget is built on top of the JS API widget. The behavior you're seeing is by design. In the default coordinate display, each capital letter represents a variable. For DDM, the variables are Y (degrees north/south), A (minutes north/south), N (N/S marker), X (degrees east/west), B (minutes east/west), and E (E/W marker). Each variable will be swapped out by the corresponding value from the actual coordinate for display purposes. So, the variable E will be swapped out with 'E' or 'W' in the displayed coordinate. But W isn't a valid variable, so replacing the E with a W will get rid of the 'E'/'W' hemisphere marker and always show the letter W (as you noticed).

The goal of the coordinate display setting is to add/remove strings to/from the coordinate (like °, ', or the comma), delete sections of the coordinate the user might not be interested in, or move sections of the coordinate around (e.g. showing X, Y instead of Y, X).

The JS API team would be able to help you if you've more questions on this. Have a good weekend, Thanks!

https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/sample-code/widgets-coordinateconversion/

https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/api-reference/esri-widgets-CoordinateConversion.html

0 Kudos