Select to view content in your preferred language

Connect to multiple sources via Survey widget

06-19-2023 06:36 AM
WhitneyWeber
Occasional Contributor

The Survey widget in Experience Builder only allows a Connection to a single data source, which is limiting. In my example, we want the user to be able to select multiple states or counties but these are in separate data sources. So, we either need the ability to connect to multiple data sources or combine those into a single source which could be filtered according to a survey response (i.e. county or state). I do not see a way to do either of these in the current Survey widget. Is there a way this could be achieved?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Kara_Shindle
Regular Contributor

Do the county or state lists HAVE to be in another layer?

Because you could probably do this a few ways:

1. Using arcade, auto-populate the attribute using map viewer to look up intersecting polygon

2. Use pulldata() function to populate dropdowns with an external CSV file via Survey123 Connect

JasminePrater
Occasional Contributor II

Being able to select multiple features in a single survey is one of those issues I see pop up a lot on the Community, as we are also in need of this capability.  Unfortunately, I have yet to see any resolution for this issue.  I believe it has been suggested at least once on the Esri recommendation list.

Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @WhitneyWeber ,

Thanks for the suggestions. If possible could you please describe your use case in details, and we will consider your use case while we plan the feature.

I am not sure if I get your correctly, do you have the county of different states in separate layers, and you want to select the county from different layers?

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
Rgehman
New Contributor III

Hi Ruth,

I have another use case for this functionality. In my example, I am using my Experience to conduct inventories of planting areas (polygons). In my survey, one field is for "Plant Name" which the user currently selects from a list widget on the left side of the survey. Their selection then populates the "Plant Name" field of the survey. I have another field, "Location," which currently contains a dropdown that corresponds to features in the map. With multiple data sources sending data to the survey, the user could select their location in the map prior to opening the survey, populating the location field automatically, and then quickly select their plant from the list widget, requiring no typing and ensuring data accuracy. 

Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Thanks @Rgehman 

I have recorded your case in our dev issue.

I am wondering have your tried dynamic choice list feature? This feature can pull the record from a selected feature service, and then put them into a dropdown question. I guess with this feature you could just select the plant directly in the survey widget without the needs of list widget.

To try this feature you can simply add a dropdown question to your survey -> click the Edit linked button beside Choices -> click the from layer tab -> add the feature service of plant name -> choose the field you want to use as the choice option.

Ruth_JiatengXu_0-1723016146163.png

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
Rgehman
New Contributor III

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for the suggestion! I have turned the plant name into a dynamic drop down list and used "send data to survey" in experience builder for the location field. The only issue I am running into now is regarding the autocomplete feature. Since the list of names is very large (over 20,000 records), typing the name of a feature later in the alphabet does not produce a result, requiring the user to type out the entire name rather than select it from the list. Are you aware of any workarounds to this issue?

0 Kudos
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @Rgehman 

Sorry for the late response. The dynamic dropdown loads the first few thousands records initially (the number is based on the maximum query count). While you typing in the dropdown, the dynamic dropdown start to query the records with the specific content, so it will appear in the list after a few seconds.

large dataset.gif

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
Rgehman
New Contributor III

Hi Ruth,

I was able to replicate your results when testing on desktop, but on mobile this is not the case. If the user types a value that is further down the list than the initial 4000 or so that load, no results appear. Any advice for mobile users?

Thanks for all your help!

Ryan

0 Kudos
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @Rgehman ,

Could you please let us know what is the browser that your were using on mobile and what is the version of your survey?

Ruth_JiatengXu_0-1723447257594.png

We have tested with a large dataset on Safari and Chrome on iOS devices, Chrome on Android devices, the dataset can be correctly queried. So I guess the issue you encountered may related to the browser, network, and survey version. 

If possible could you please share a sample survey to jxu@esri.com so that I can help you investigate further. 

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos