Select to view content in your preferred language

Clearing Selection/Filters Not Working In Experience Builder List

Jump to solution
10-25-2023 12:31 PM
Labels (2)
Rgehman
New Contributor III

I have an Experience Builder application consisting of 4 different pages. The app opens up to a main "Landing Page" in which users can search for plants that are located in a botanical garden. Once the user makes their selection, they can navigate to the "Main Map" page which shows the selected records.

There are a few ways to search through the plant records including (1) a list widget where the user can search by name, ID number or location, (2) a separate widget consisting of drop-down filters which filter the plant records list widget (1), and (3) a list widget that is connected to a standalone table of species names which is related to plant records list widget (1). This third widget is the list that is giving me issues.

When a user selects a species from this list, the plant records list (1) is filtered to show all records of the selected species. The user also has an option to click a "View Info" button in this list and go to a page with information specific to the species, a list of records filtered to those with the selected species name, and a map showing all of the filtered records. There is also a button that leads to the "Main Map" page. The problem arises if a user selects a record in the list on this "View Info" page and then goes to the "Main Map" page, and then back to the "Landing Page." If the user does this, the species list on the "Landing Page" only shows the previously selected species, even if there are no selections/filters applied. I cannot figure out why this is happening and was hoping someone could provide some guidance or can vouch to this issue happening to them as well. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

I can explain why this is happening. I can't really offer a solution. But hold on, this is about to get weird.

*Mobius meme* What if I told you your browser is lying to you?

Whenever you visit a website made in React like Experience Builder, community.esri.com, Facebook (they invented React) or about half the internet at this point, you never actually leave their homepage.

Most of the time, sites destroy React components when the user leaves a page, but Experience Builder does not. So visiting some pages within your site and coming back to the first page does not reset the Experience.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

I can explain why this is happening. I can't really offer a solution. But hold on, this is about to get weird.

*Mobius meme* What if I told you your browser is lying to you?

Whenever you visit a website made in React like Experience Builder, community.esri.com, Facebook (they invented React) or about half the internet at this point, you never actually leave their homepage.

Most of the time, sites destroy React components when the user leaves a page, but Experience Builder does not. So visiting some pages within your site and coming back to the first page does not reset the Experience.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
Rgehman
New Contributor III

I can understand that, but what confuses me is that even when selections/filters are physically cleared the list does not reset. Other instances in the EB work as they should, where the list resets when selections and filters are cleared, but there's something about going through the pages in this specific order that causes the list to get stuck on one selection, with the only solution being to refresh the page (which we don't want to make our users do each time they need to search for a new item!)

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

If you are on Developer Edition, maybe we could design some sort of reset widget that would force the browser to reload the page (easiest way to totally reset an Experience). I'm not sure how to trigger it at this point.

If you are not on Developer Edition, I don't think there's anything you can do to fix this.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
DanJiang
Esri Contributor

Hi @Rgehman , based on your description, my best guess is that the reason is the third list's selection is not cleared, thus the filter is still on. I think you can try use the Default data view in the Main Page, for exploring all records, and use custom data views for the list 1 and view info pages. The filter of the list 3 should apply to the data view, so it won't affect the main page's data. 

0 Kudos
Rgehman
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan. I think it was some combination of this, combined with the fact that I was doing a lot of testing in Live View instead of publishing and viewing the actual page, which likely contributed. The issue has stopped for the most part, though EB in general seems to have issues with certain triggers not working at random times. I found that using Chrome and clearing cache often helps minimize these random bugs.