Select to view content in your preferred language

Charts data do not follow Map selections; what did I do wrong in the action trigger?

03-14-2023 05:38 AM
tcyd
by
Emerging Contributor

I have a map of polygons (census districts in a city) and a chart on the right which displays the total population of the city classified by age groups.  When it is idle, I would like to chart to display the total population of the city.  However, when I select a specific polygon (a district in the city), I would like the chart to only show statistics of that district.

I feel that this is a simple question but I could not figure out how the action trigger should work.  I have set a action trigger for my map ("record selection changes > framework > filter data records). In particular, I found that when I select "selected features" on the Chart's data, it will work but when I do not select anything on the map, nothing will show on the chart.  On the other hand, when I set it to "Default", and when I select features on the map, statistics on the chart won't change (still showing the population of the city as a whole).  To supplement, my chart use SUM of fields as statistics (I have a feeling that it might be relevant).

tcyd_1-1678797411561.png 

tcyd_0-1678797686359.png

Very grateful for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WeiYing1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @tcyd , 

> " When it is idle, I would like to chart to display the total population of the city.  However, when I select a specific polygon (a district in the city), I would like the chart to only show statistics of that district. "

Based on your description here is my suggestion: 

1. In Chart widget configuration, just use "Default" data view in data source. So that when idle (no specific selection), chart can show statistic of the whole city.

WeiYing1_0-1681425282714.png

2. In Map widget, go to Action setting. Select "Record selection changes" - "Framework"- "Filter data records".  Set the trigger data and action data to the same one (your census districts polygon). Then at runtime, you should be able to select a district and then see the chart update showing statistic only for that district. 

WeiYing1_1-1681425321240.png

Thanks,

Wei

0 Kudos