Search Widget for Experience Builder

05-04-2020 07:50 AM
ZorbaConlen1
Occasional Contributor III

Experience builder should have a search widget, separate from the search you can enable in the map or in a list. One obvious situation is that you want the search results applied to both the list and the map. That's not possible currently, as far as I can tell. Beyond that, you should have full control to configure search options, style the widget and control the placement.

Tags (2)
30 Comments
AdamArcichowski

Yes any update on this ? 

I think this would be a major improvement. Right now when a user searches their zip code it zooms directly into that location (1:100), while the POI's are spread across the entire county.  User can not see these POI's unless they zoom out.  Very confusing for the user.  

Plus being able to expand the search button like it does on smaller screens would be amazing and easier for the user to know where to type in their address. 

Experience builder is great! Just a few small things making it not user friendly. 

Please spend some time to update the search settings in experience builder. 

Appreciate the work so far!  Keep it up. 

BrittanyBurson

@AdamArcichowski and all, it is possible this ask might be coming in the September update? See blog post here.

BrittanyBurson_0-1630516129060.png

TanGnar

Great, looking forward to giving it a shot. 

DavidColey

I'd like to see an enhancement to the Search Widget where feature sources can be used as an Output for filtering in other widgets like Query

ShengdiZhang
Status changed to: Already Offered

DavidColey

Hi @ShengdiZhang  - I'm sorry but it's just not working.  Perhaps because the layer source output is from a polygon feature layer?  Here, you can see that I have a layer source set in my search widget, and the search does in fact return the selected record as graphic on the map:

DavidColey_0-1642695511364.png

However, the feature layer (or it's result) continues to not be available as an Output for consumption by the Query widget:

DavidColey_1-1642695703469.png

I've been working on this off and on for months.  The screen shots above are from the developer edition 1.7.  But the same behavior exists in online.  If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.  Maybe @Jianxia or  @RobertScheitlin__GISP  ?

DaveFullerton1

@DavidColey , unfortunately the Search widget only produces an output datasource when configured with a locator.  It would be very interesting to know if future versions will work with layer source.

DavidColey

Thanks for the reply @DaveFullerton1 . I suspected as much.  I thought that perhaps with the December update that had changed, but alas that is not the case.  At least I can stop beating my head against the wall on this.  Agreed re future versions and layer source as output . . .

FredericPoliart_EsriAU

Has anyone managed to get the OOTB locator (https://utility.arcgis.com/usrsvcs/servers/f20962bd9d0f4865add612c206a8ef43/rest/services/World/Geoc...) to select a cadastre property in another layer?

The search by locator must return some X,Y position (I imagine),  is there a way to select cadastre property that intersects with this X,Y point?

This seems like an OBVIOUS and common workflow.  I am surprised there is no provisions for this in Experience Builder 1.7 -- lots of people would want to do this,  

.. maybe there is an option I haven't found<?> 

ShengdiZhang

@FredericPoliart_EsriAU 

Currently, only the query widget supports the spatial filter. Here is a workaround using the search and query widgets.

Please see the following steps:

1. Add a search widget, and add the locator service as the search source

2. Add a query widget, and create a new query using the data with cadastre property

3. In the Set query panel, under the Spatial filter, click the "Selected features from data source". Select the outputs data source from the search widget as the filter layer.

ShengdiZhang_0-1645602036611.png

ShengdiZhang_1-1645602162884.png

Here is how it works at runtime (I add some actions to make it clear):