Map note (or Draw) widget that supports touch and smart pen

06-04-2021 12:49 AM
Labels (3)
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I often need to draw on the map to exchange ideas with others. I can use the map notes in ArcGIS Enterprise map viewer or Draw widget in Web Appbuilder, but they don't support my smart pen very well.

As an alternative, I use snipping tool or MS surface pro whiteboard function, but this workaround has its limitations. for example, I have to work outside of my GIS work space and the map is not interactive....

Nowadays most mobile devices come with a touch screen, some with a smart/active pen (e.g. surface pro and iPad Pro), it make sense to have the built-in function to fully use these great input devices to write and draw on the web map, no matter what you call it: map notes, drawings, graphics, annotations...

Actually, I would like to see the pen support across all ArcGIS products. After all, we've been writing with pens for so many years before computer mouse were invented.

BTW, I tried the annotation function in ArcGIS Pro with an active pen, the experience is not good in the current version. 

1 Comment
MarielleF

This could be very useful, too, if you want to let people who do not regularly work with GIS, or do not have much time, add information to a map. Specifically, I am looking for a way to update a map with the help of local experts in a survey, and selecting and modifying features on site is too cumbersome.