Select to view content in your preferred language

Make simple spatial join in experience builder without spatial join query

6 hours ago
Labels (2)
Service_SIG_CAPDFT
New Contributor II

Hello,

I needed to build a small application using Experience Builder to allow my users to search for a plot by number and check if it was located in a special zoning area for building permits. I had difficulty finding a simple and effective solution, so I am sharing it with you today.

My constraints:

• The layer containing the plots could not be modified, so I couldn't add a spatial join field from ArcGIS Pro before publishing on ArcGIS Online.
  • The application was intended for the general public, so the usage had to be as simple as possible.
  • I wanted to minimize the number of clicks for the user, so no multiple queries.

My solution:

• A Web Map containing my "plots" and "areas" layers.
  • An Experience Builder application with a query widget allowing the user to enter their plot reference (in 2 fields).
  • The use of an expression in the pop-up window to check the geometric intersection between the two layers.
  • The use of a "text" type content for displaying the result of the expression in the pop-up window.

(Thank you to Kelly Gerrow : https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-blog/overlapping-features-in-pop-ups-quick-introduction/...)

• Enabling the "Show pop-up upon feature selection" map option in Experience Builder.

Here is the code for the expression used in the pop-up window of my "plots" layer:

var intersectLayer = Intersects(FeatureSetByName($map, "Zones"), Buffer($feature, -1, 'meter'))

var Res = "The plot is not in the zone"

for (var f in intersectLayer){
var Res = "The plot is in " + f.TYPE
}

return Res

Here is the result (in french sorry) :

Service_SIG_CAPDFT_0-1721118610219.png

I hope this can inspire other ESRI users.