Select to view content in your preferred language

Feature request for templating functionality

07-05-2024 03:40 AM
boro
by
Occasional Contributor

I work for an organisation that works a lot with Experience Builder templates. Ofcourse it is common practice to refine a template before finalizing it and using it for experiences. However practical use has shown there are many cases where templates need to be adjusted after they have been incorporated into multiple experiences.

It bothers me that with each template update, the experiences using that template need to be updated manually as well. I used to work for a software company that made similar low-code platforms, and we solved this by creating unique references between elements of a template, and the elements of items that use this template.

In this way, elements changed in a template could also be updated in the items that use that template. However an element reference would become undone if the user changed a referenced element in an item in any way. This is to prevent unwanted deviations from the template, to be changed back to the new template standard.

This solution brought its own set of issues (ideally, you would be able to decide exactly what changes from the template you keep) but it was a quick and effective fix for an annoying issue. I hope my words are clear enough that you can make sense of them. English is not my first language. I would love for a similar feature in Experience Builder, it would save me a lot of menial work