Select to view content in your preferred language

Change search widget to a more seamless approach

07-02-2024 11:22 PM
Labels (2)
MSCESRI
Occasional Contributor

Currently when using a layer source as search option in the search widget, you will need make at least 2 clicks before getting to a result. I have the search widget set up with an interaction with my map that opens a popup and zooms into the location, however this only will work with the search 'results' section, which comes after search 'suggestions' (or after clicking on the search button if search suggestions are set to 0). 

I am hoping there will be an implementation of mimicking other search engines, that allow you to type something, click on something in the dropdown and automatically have an interaction. The current implementation is not super user-friendly, with the need to go through 2 different dropdown menus (suggestions and then results).

9 Comments
ShengdiZhang

Hi @MSCESRI ,

If no suggestions are needed, you can set the Maximum suggestions per source to 0.

If you want automatic interaction, you can check the Auto select the first result option, and configure message actions such as Record selection changes - Map - Zoom to.

Regards,

Shengdi

krunesa3

Had been rolled out for some time, I got it like 1 or maybe 2 months ago it should pop up after update as fullscreen menu, asking about default search engine and default browser. If you not use Google, you lose circle to search and some other stuff https://omegle.onl/  .

ScottKiley

Thanks for the suggestions @ShengdiZhang, but what I'm hoping for (and what I assume @MSCESRI is also hoping for) is the ability to have a list and select an option and have it zoom to its location with one click. Its current default setting isn't intuitive to common interactive mapping apps.

BrittanyBurson

@ShengdiZhang was this change in functionality introduced in the latest update? I am getting support tickets now from internal and public users of our https://streets.sandiego.gov/ app where I wasn't before, complaining about this specific Search behavior.

Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor

I've talked to support about this behavior thinking it was a bug and they just said no this is how we expect it to work. ok, but not a useful approach

MSCESRI

Yeah as @ScottKiley said, was hoping for a search box that worked similar to the majority of ones you see i.e. upon typing something, a list of suggestions will come up and clicking on one will directly interact with the map/application. Needing to hit enter/click the search button before being able to see anything can be a bit jarring, especially if the user is a technology novice.

@Laura that's what I was told as well when contacting local Esri support. They directed me to post on the ideas forum here.

ECJRIJS

I agree with the suboptimal user experience when interacting with the search widget. My users struggle with the double click/hitting enter without any direct search result feedback. And if the search returns a result then the resultbar somehow remains present which disturbs the user experience ... (as you can see in the screenshot)

ECJRIJS_0-1720701215886.png

As a workaround I use the much more intuitive search feature that comes with the mapwidget. I just recently learned you can also add layer attribute (like parcel ID) search  from within the AGOL map settings. This results in an overal intuitive search experience that parses results from both geolocators and layerattributes taking you directly to the wanted location. 

MSCESRI

The search function as part of the map widget definitely is more intuitive, but from what I can see it doesn't interact with other widgets, namely the feature info one (I could just use the map popups, but would prefer to not have limitations). 

BrittanyBurson

I'm here at Esri UC and was told at first this was a bug, then second that it was expected behavior. A workaround suggestion was made to use the "Auto select the first result' checkbox which at surface level, does seem to resolve the need to click the result a second time. However, I'm trying to understand why this is necessary/what this takes away/what other issue it may accidentally introduce? See also this Esri post here about record selections.

BrittanyBurson_0-1721232816546.png