Select to view content in your preferred language

Add Location Tracking Widget to Experience Builder Map Container

08-11-2022 03:15 PM
Labels (1)
Lake_Country_GIS
Occasional Contributor

Implement Location Tracking in Experience Builder - same as JS API:

"Applications can find, track, and display the geolocation for a device with the Locate and Track widgets. Both widgets use the HTML5 Geolocation API to find the device's location and provide updates. Once your geolocation is found, you can zoom to the location, display a graphic, and follow along as your location changes. The Locate widget finds and zooms to your current location after you click the button, whereas the Track widget animates the view to your location at an interval. The Track widget is useful for building applications that provide driving directions and follow routes."

Tags (3)
19 Comments
RyanBohan

It would be great for the location to automatically update on a refresh interval.  I don't want to locations recorded, just automatically move the little blue dot around the map for locational awareness.  

For example, launch google maps on your phone, click to zoom to your location, the map will automatically update as you move.

Lake_Country_GIS

Exactly!

RossBrewerMiltonGA

Yes, please.  This would be very useful.

JoelBrodeur

I would love this.

Cory__Williams

This would help a lot! I agree, we don't need the ability to record the information, we just need a widget that enables us to automatically pan the map to ensure the location stays in the centre of the map (or close to).

GISAdminStPaul

There should be a location widget added to Experience Builder that we can configure to refresh automatically, ie check for location updates. Our Fire Dept uses Windows tablets and needs to be able to see their location in context with hydrants and other info, and have their location update automatically. The current built in map control is not enough, as we need to ability to 'check for location updates'. Currently they are using Web App Builder for this and it the location piece is working ok but the app itself no longer performing great, so I was looking to embrace a newer 4.x JavaScript offering (Experience Builder).

Has anyone found an JavaScript 4.x app template in AGO that has widget configuration to 'check for location updates', besides the My Location widget in Web App Builder? Any of the instant apps? I thought about exploring Field Maps, but it seems that location in that app is only tied to a data collection workflow (no data collection needed here), and Field Maps for Windows has been deprecated, oddly.

The original post is almost 2 years old, I would have expected parity between WAB and EB to be closer by now. Meanwhile obscure widgets that barely anyone uses are already present in EB.

I need either a web app or a windows app to view an AGO webmap, that can be configured to automatically refresh location Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas besides WAB?

Thanks!

Lake_Country_GIS

I was at the ESRI Developers conference earlier this year. The ESRI dev team assued me this was to be released later this year. Can't believe it has taken over two years to figure out how to implement the HTML5 browser supported geolocation, especially by the World's leader in GIS sofware. Extremely frustrating!

navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition(getPosition);

Lake_Country_GIS_0-1716497677947.png

KevinMayall

My Location widget (beta) included in the June update of Experience Builder.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/experience-builder/latest/configure-widgets/my-location-widget.htm

Lake_Country_GIS

I have tested out the Experience Builder My Location Widget. While the widget is pretty cool, it sure misses the mark. All I am looking for is for my citizens, or field workers to track their location on a map, as they walk downa road, or trail, without having to click on show my location over and over again. Similar to the way the WebAppBuilder widget works:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/web-appbuilder/latest/create-apps/widget-my-location.htm

Once again, pretty simple stuff. Not sure why this is so difficult to implement in the Experience Builder platform!