Info Summary in Experience Builder (Update: Implemented)

11-03-2022 07:23 AM
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor
1 19 2,896

Updated: Implemented, see Recreating Web Appbuilder Info Summary widget workflows in Experience Builder (esri.com)

In ArcGIS Web AppBuilder (WAB), the Info Summary widget allows you to quickly view a count and a list of features for each layer specified.

Are you using this widget? Here's an opportunity to tell us what you need in the new generation of app builders!

Please add a comment to this blog and answer the questions below. You can also contact me directly at avezina@esri.com.

1. What functionality from the WAB Info Summary widget do you need in Experience Builder?
  2. Is there any new functionality you would like to see in this widget?
  3. Tell us about an application you've created in Web AppBuilder using the Info Summary widget. Share a link, screenshots, or recording if possible. Describe the application and explain how it's being used, and by whom.
  4. Tell us about you: your role, your industry, how you apply GIS?
19 Comments
AdminAccount2
Occasional Contributor II

The Info Summary widget in WAB is probably the most used widget in all of our web apps and dashboard themes. It's a quick, intuitive way for users to quickly identify and navigate to key points on a map. The existing features of the widget work well for our needs. In Experience Builder it would be ideal if this widget could also interact with other widgets. The Info Summary and Add Data widgets are the two key things currently missing from EB, and reason enough NOT to use EB until these have been added. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to see some live examples. 

ChrisRoberts2
Occasional Contributor III

The Info Summary widget and lack thereof in EB is a showstopper for us to move a number of web apps over.

For example:

Code Amendment Map Viewer (geohub.sa.gov.au)

ReedWhittington
New Contributor

It seems to me after brief exposure to ExB that the table widget and query widget could be tied together so that the query result could be fed to the table.   Or have the query widget result displayed as a read only table.  

KevinMayall

I want to display a count and list of features (businesses) for each value in a category field (type of business).  The WAB Info Summary widget is useful because it shows the counts for each category alongside the the map symbol for each category.  The use of the map symbols helps to relate the widget to the map.

I don't use the Display Logo Image, Show All Features or the clustering options.

I also need for an EB widget to expand the summary rows to show individual record names.

We use this for a local business directory.  I am a GIS consultant acting for a local business development agency.

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Info Summary functionality can now be set up in Experience Builder using the Near Me widget available in ArcGIS Online since June 2023. See What’s New in ArcGIS Experience Builder (June 2023) (esri.com)

Here's the blog with the configuration steps:

Recreating Web Appbuilder Info Summary widget workflows in Experience Builder (esri.com)

Example:

AlixVezina_0-1690208654028.png

Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I think a good example is the crime solution. There is an info summary widget and there I was able to break down the crimes by type of crime showing the counts but also the corresponding symbology for that type. In the above example there is no symbology. I think that EXB is making the simple things too complicated. I would like to get what WAB had, but get there quicker and easier than I currently can. EXB still does not have what I would prefer. It's hard to keep up with the game always changing when the good changes are implemented so late. When it comes down to what the users really want to see then WAB is the way to go. 

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@Laura Thank you for the feedback!

We'll take note of your need to "break down the crimes by type of crime showing the counts but also the corresponding symbology for that type".

Do you have any other specific suggestions on how we can improve the Info Summary workflow in Experience Builder?

ChrisRoberts2

I agree with @Laura. Just a simply Symbol, Type and count meets the needs I have in order to migrate some of my simple apps  from WAB to Experience Builder

JarrettLivesey1
New Contributor II

Hi Alix, and thank you for asking for input about how best to migrate the 'Info Summary' app over to Experience Builder.    I agree with @Laura; having the app tally, but also individually break down by category, is what I would like to see in the Experience builder version of the Widget.  I currently use 'Info Summary' in a Damage assessment App that updates real time as team members are collecting information in the field.  You can view the at THIS LINK

Alix, feel free to reach out if you have any questions about any of this.

Thanks,

Jarrett

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@JarrettLivesey1 Here's an example of how you could recreate something similar using the Near Me widget in Experience Builder, using the web map that you shared: Damage Assessment Dashboard - example only (arcgis.com)

Would something like this work for you? Is there anything missing?

AlixVezina_0-1694553013020.png

JarrettLivesey1
New Contributor II

Hello and good morning @AlixVezina, thanks for putting this together so fast !!

Two things; are you able to add the icon for the different 'extent of damage' to list on the left side of the screen ?? 

Also in the list can you add other text where the dollar value currently is ??  Something like "value before damage" = $ 149000, etc.

Lastly, how did you replicate the 'Info Summary' widget in Experience builder ??

Thanks for your help it is very much appreciated 🙂

Jarrett

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@JarrettLivesey1 

Are you able to add the icon for the different 'extent of damage' to list on the left side of the screen ?? 

No, right now we don't support adding the symbols as icons. But we'll consider it.

Also in the list can you add other text where the dollar value currently is ??  Something like "value before damage" = $ 149000, etc.

Not at this time, there's only one display field that can be defined. But we'll consider it.

How did you replicate the 'Info Summary' widget in Experience builder ??

You'll find the steps in this blog: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/experience-builder/local-government/recreating-web-appbuil...

JarrettLivesey1
New Contributor II

@AlixVezina 

I did play around with this in Experience builder and it just doesn't quite hit the mark, don't know how else to say it.

Thanks for your help with this, your efforts are appreciated.

All the best,

Jarrett

Sunnny
by
New Contributor II

I am waiting for info summary (or near me) widget in Experience Builder for Enterprise Portal.

Is there any chance of that happening?

AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

Hi @Sunnny 

Replacement for Info Summary is going to be released in Enterprise 11.3.  the tentative release timeline is early May this year. The new widget name is Near Me.

Once it is available in 11.3, you can follow this blog https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/experience-builder/local-government/recreating-web-appbuil... to migrate your workflow using the Near Me widget in Experience Builder.

In the meantime you can take a look and get familiar with this using the ArcGIS Online version https://doc.arcgis.com/en/experience-builder/latest/configure-widgets/near-me-widget.htm.

Thanks

Aziza

AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

@JarrettLivesey1 we have added many enhancements including adding map symbols in Near Me in last two ArcGIS Online updates, please give it a try and let us know if anything is still missing.

Sunnny
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for info Aziza

D_AnneHammond
New Contributor III

I need to 'Summarize Within' using a selected polygon with polygon overlays and I don't see a way to do that in the Near Me widget...or maybe I'm missing something??

AzizaParveen1
Esri Contributor

Hi @D_AnneHammond 

Are you talking about Infographic widget in Web AppBuilder? If yes, that widget is different from Info Summary. Info Summary does not have any summarize within functionality.

Are you trying to get intersected features using a polygon? If yes, that can be done in Near Me, here is a blog that outlines how to do that in Near Me, https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/still-can-t-replace-wab-near-me-wi....

Thanks

Aziza

About the Author
Alix Vézina is a senior product engineer on Esri's ArcGIS Solutions Web Development team, where she has successfully delivered industry web mapping tools since 2019. Her previous work includes assisting in the digital GIS transformation of a property and land-management organization in New Zealand and coauthoring ArcGIS learning resources for the Public Safety sector. In her free time, Alix enjoys hiking with her puppy in the Colorado foothills.