Experience Builder 2022 Roadmap And Beyond

01-05-2022 01:30 AM
Labels (2)
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor
15 58 14.5K

Happy New Year!

In 2022, Experience Builder team will continue moving widgets over from WAB while support accessibility and add custom widgets in ArcGIS Enterprise. Keep in mind that things are subject to change please.

Roadmap 2022.jpg

58 Comments
HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for providing the road map.  Is there a plan to incorporate the layer list format from WAB at any point ?  The way the legend and layer list combine, and the layer checkboxes (rather than the visible eye symbol) make the WAB much more user friendly, in my experience. 

HelenCooper_0-1641379610599.png

Many thanks, 

Helen

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looking forward to any and all updates in 2022!

Is "Print" going to be different from the Screenshot tool that I've seen in some of the more recent Instant Apps?

JamieLambert

Hi @Jianxia,

'Add Data' is a long term roadmap item. Will we see this in 2022? Or beyond?

Is the user community driving this roadmap? Thanks.

Jamie.

KarstenRank

When will stream layer be available in List Widget?

Marokapara
Occasional Contributor

It'd be great if you could bump up print and swipe!

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@jcarlson , the Print widget will include the map print tool similar to that in WAB with enhanced UI/UX as well as the "screenshot (screen print)" tool to capture the screen in case you have multiple maps  or images, texts, etc.

Just wanted to clarify the "screenshot" tool a bit. It is more like a page printing tool in the browser. You can't choose which area on the screen you want to print but the entire screen for the full screen apps or the entire page for the scrolling page apps. 

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@JamieLambert , the road map is driving by both user community and development resources. As you may know, it is a collaboration of various teams  working together to deliver widgets in WAB. ExB follows the same patter from that perspective. We are trying to get the Add Data widget in the second half of 2022 though no estimated timeline. Thanks for being patient with us.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@KarstenRank , unfortunately, support for Stream layer is not on the roadmap yet. 

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@HelenCooper , In ExB, the Map Layer widget wraps up the Layer List widget in JSAPI 4.x which does not have the same capability as the Layer List widget in WAB. Others also ask for the checkbox over eye symbol. Would you mind helping summit an enhancement to Support?

HelenCooper

Thanks @Jianxia , I will do that. 

LeonAus
New Contributor III

@Jianxia, are there any plans to support text formatting in the list widget with Arcade or simple HTML tags? If so will that be listed on the roadmap or will it get added without showing up on the roadmap?

JeromeCollet
New Contributor

Hi Jianxia,

Add Data and Geoprocessing widget are very important widget and key feature to allow us to switch our apps from WAB to ExB. Any chance that the deliver can at least be secure for the second half of 2022 (or even before if possible)?

Also, could you explain more what is the functionnality "Custom Widget in ArcGIS Entreprise"?

Regards,

Jérôme

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@LeonAus , currently there is no plan to support text formatting with Arcade or simple HTML tags in the Text or List  widget.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@JeromeCollet , thanks for sharing. There is no estimated timeline yet for Add Data and GP. We will try out best to get them in. 

Currently you can add Web AppBuilder custom widgets in ArcGIS Enterprise to extend the builder. See the documentation here. We plan to support it with Experience Builder.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We want URL parameters!

RyanBohan

Exciting to hear printing is coming soon!  If I am reading this correctly it will print everything on the layout, even scrollable pages. Pop-ups or the the Feature Info widget are commonly requested to be able to export/print easily.

I hope printing fires up the web browsers print function, which would allow us to print, and also export to PDF.  I have been chasing this with the Javascript API https://codepen.io/rbohan/pen/mdMZbdp

Can't wait!

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@RyanBohan, the API demo is interesting. I have shared it with teams working on printing/reporting capabilities.

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@RyanBohan 

I hope printing fires up the web browsers print function, which would allow us to print, and also export to PDF.  I have been chasing this with the Javascript API https://codepen.io/rbohan/pen/mdMZbdp

I'm adding this comment in context of print service, not with regards to ExB.

Please see this blog post below that shows you how you can add attributes/reports in an output from a print service.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-enterprise/mapping/print-reports-from-arcgis-enterp...

As it appears to me in your case all you need is reports (no maps), in that case, you will need to simply skip the exporting map part in the python code.

hope this helps.

BrittanyBurson

Hi @TanuHoque thank you for sharing - is it possible to use this print service method to print reports using Arcade powered attribute expressions? Such as those created on-the-fly within a web map.

BrittanyBurson_0-1643652867451.png

If so, could it be scaled to export all of the attribute expressions returned in our Zoning and Parcel Information Portal (ZAPP)?

It has been difficult for us to find ways to support requests for printing with attribute expressions, since they are somewhat floating in space and difficult to export.

Thanks!

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@BrittanyBurson 

Unfortunately the popup configuration can't be passed to a print service as this moment. If you want to print out some descriptive text etc. using feature attributes, I think it'd be more appropriate to try layout based solution, instead of report based.

please check out this post and this might be helpful.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-documents/print-dynamic-text-from-a-web-application/...

RyanBohan

@Jianxia Thank you Jianxia that makes my day.

@TanuHoque Thank you for the print reports link. I will check it out.

To follow up with Brittany's comment the way my API demo "prints" by passing everything from a webmap pop-up contents to a new webpage and load the browser print function.  This includes any arcade logic, images and graphs in the pop-up.

Can a print service include arcade calculated values?

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@RyanBohan@BrittanyBurson 

currently the way a reporting works in a print service is that it simply uses attributes from features.

As you see in the blog post, since it is powered by an arcpy script, you have full control on what you want to do.

Also, another option, if you don't want to do that in python code, could be this:
- you can create a temp graphics layer with attributes (including result from arcade expression) and

I admit none of them are great solution.

Would you mind provide me some examples (may be with some screenshots) that describes what kind of arcade expressions you'd like to print?

thanks

RyanBohan

Hi @TanuHoque 

I would be happy to share arcade expressions we would like to print. 

I provided two examples below.  The arcade in both create a very powerful pop-up, the in second example it’s possible to return up to 800 records.

Thank you for you time, and more then happy to talk about it more, and I am by no means a arcade or JavaScript expert.

The first example was created by a Senior GIS Analyst called Zapp.

Each pop-up run about 70 arcade expressions (taking 15-60 seconds).  The pop-up is the results of many arcade expressions, mostly geographic Intersects with other Feature Sets. 

Previously this was a manual process taking between 15-30 minutes for each location.  Being able to print this pop-up as a pdf is a popular request, the current work flow includes copy and paste into a separate document to save.

Zapp Basic Print Testing for geonet

https://codepen.io/rbohan/pen/dyZXOYQ?editors=1010

Zapp webapp

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3057676023954a828ad92ef22b5ff349

Pop-up grid of approximately 70 expressions

RyanBohan_2-1643927572530.png

Sample arcade expression

RyanBohan_3-1643927572534.png

The second is a historical permit pop-up

The final webmap is still in development, I’ll attached the arcade below for the public rest service

When a parcel is selected that APN number is used to filter the Historic Records rest service.

The pop-up is to group the results by ProjectID, JobID, and AppID

It’s a one to many relationship. 

Each ProjectID can have multiple JobIDs.

Each JobID can have multiple AppIds. 

A series of nested for loops are used to build the pop-up which returns 0-800 records

Pseudo arcade below, see attachments for full arcade logic

For ProjectID{

For JobID{

For AppID{

//Add values to string

}

}

}

Return entire string

Thank you,

Ryan

arcade.JPGpop-up results.JPG

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

thanks @RyanBohan for providing all details. Appreciate it very much.

It looks like you want to have a capability to print the content from a popup. And I don't see any requirements to include map in the print out. Please let me know if I misunderstood.

RyanBohan

Hi @TanuHoque you are correct.  The pop-up information is the most important.

I am sure no one would mind if there was a way to also include a map thumbnail

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

thanks @RyanBohan 

CPaulman
New Contributor II

Hi @Jianxia ! Thank you for this list. I would like to add my vote for Add Data.

We have users that want to combine their various GIS (and non-GIS) data with our map services. I want to move more apps into Experience Builder.  

Marokapara
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Jianxia , Using Experience Builder a lot on my projects now, especially the edit widget.

We would really like to see some of the following things applied. Not sure if this is the right place to put this?

• ability to draw circles easily (We work with farmers, so they have lots of pivots to draw.)
  • on the front end, hide Geometry guides and Feature to feature, but have it activated on the back end
  • ability to copy geometry from other layers or even export a previous layer (so we can update what we've drawn, but not overwrite)

Example of a pivot and how the tool is difficult for drawing circles

Marokapara_0-1644873334317.png

Supporter of getting print and swipe added sooner too 🙂

Thanks. Good work team!

PRussell
New Contributor III

Can we please add capabilities to change the default settings (Scale = Feet and DPI = 300) so users don't have to change them in the Advanced dropdown menu?

Also having the default title populate with any given parcel's address field after it is clicked on or searched for would be great. An example of this functionality is in City of Rochester's property viewer 'Create Map' widget.

How long will the old style AGOL WAB be available before it is replaced by ExB?

Print Widget defaults needed.png

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Please, please implement filtering and zooming to extent via query parameters. Experience builder really needs this for integration into webpages. We have a UK-wide map of infrastructure and we need to be able to filter it based on url parameters  

David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@Jianxia Im intrigued why Basemap Gallery widget is on the long term and not near/medium term. Is this not a high demand bit of functionality?

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@David_Brooks , there is a basemap tool on the Map widget that you can turn on. Understand it reads from your org settings and does not provide a way to configure your own basemaps. Due to limited resources, we try to get as many functions as possible in and hope these map tools could help a bit.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@Marokapara Thanks for sharing your feedback on Edit. 

David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@Jianxia thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately my client's organisation works with multiple coordinate systems and the organisations basemap gallery doesn't work for this reason. Too many greyed out tiles to scroll through.

Marokapara
Occasional Contributor

@Jianxia would really like to see the add data function bumped up to a sooner release too! Specifically shp and kml. Trying to minimise the amount of re-work for users as much as possible.

JosephGann__MTA_
New Contributor II

Would love to see the add data widget bumped up sooner also (similar to that which is found in map viewer).  The sketch and print options will be most helpful.

In the meanwhile, is there a way to cobble this together on the user-end using experience builder tools currently available?

MattBell2
New Contributor II

Is there a timeline for the edit widget to be complete and taken out of beta stage?

Also, will the edit widget eventually allow batch editing attributes for multiple records instead of only a single record at a time?

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@Marokapara , thanks for letting us know. Your request has been added.

@JosephGann__MTA_ , no, there is no easy way to cobble this together. Your request has been added. 

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@MattBell2 , the Edit widget will be out of beta in the March update next week. The batch attribute editing is under the consideration of JSAPI 4.x. Once it is available in JSAPI, we will include the capability in ExB.

JTessier
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @Jianxia ,

With the feedback you have received here, and the still developing parity between Experience Builder (Js4.x) and WAB(Js 3.x), can esri push the retirement date for JS 3.26 (that aligns with 10.8.1 WAB) back at least another year (to Aug2023) to align better with key missing capabilities you are adding to EB/Js4.x?  And then update this page respectively?

https://support.esri.com/en/Products/Developers/web-apis/arcgis-api-for-javascript/3-32#product-supp...

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@JTessier , thanks for the reminder. The JSAPI product page has been updated. Currently JSAPI 3.26 is planned to be retired in August 2023. However, if you are using ArcGIS Enterprise, the WAB product lifecycle falls in the product life cycle of ArcGIS Enterprise.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My ask is Export to GDB somehow.  It has been asked for since at least 2017 https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-web-appbuilder-ideas/add-quot-export-to-shp-quot-or-quot-export...

CSV is a step backwards.  Having to be a publisher just to export data is kinda crazy.

thank you!

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@DougBrowning - thank you for sharing. Your request has been added to the backlog. 

mlrtexas
New Contributor

Hi @Jianxia

Can you provide an update on the Near Term  rollout of Timeslider (Timeslider in WAB)? The limited function of dynamic filter capabilities in EXB has been frustrating, especially compared to the simplicity of the Date Selector in OpsDash for instance. 

Thanks in advance.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@mlrtexas , the Timeline widget will be available in the upcoming June update. By then, ExB framework would support the time field so you can chart against the date, for example. I will share what' coming in June soon. Thanks.

Ohan_GeoDecisions
New Contributor II

@Jianxia - do you have an update to the roadmap for end of year and Q1 2023 ?

IGTLab_Empress
New Contributor

I've been wanting something similar to what @RyanBohan  suggested with being able to print the pop-up/attribute information and attachments, which would also be similar to what is produced in the Survey123 Report generating. We have field workers who would like to be able to export feature reports of points, but they don't all have AGOL accounts to access the Survey123 Data page. And since we're working with AGOL, we can't create a custom print service (unless I'm mistaken; I read that Enterprise would be needed).

Could there be something that can allow users to print feature attribute reports through Experience Builder? I tried to figure out some possibilities through Dashboards, but EB is what we're hoping to switch over to.

Thanks for your time!

(by the way @RyanBohan , that script you created is awesome!! Thank you for posting that!)

Raquel
by
New Contributor

Hi @Jianxia

What about geoprocessing widget? any news? we are ending 2022 and I don´t finde any information about this useful functionality.

Are there any other alternative to run a geoprocessing tool inside Exp.B?

Thanks in advance.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@Ohan_GeoDecisions See what's coming in November. Once we finalize the Q1 2023 release plan and 2023 roadmap in December, we will share them with the community.

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@Raquel The Geoprocessing widget is planned for 2023. Will share the 2023 roadmap in December with more solid timelines. I am not aware of a way to run it in Experience Builder though.

About the Author
Product Manager for ArcGIS Experience Builder and ArcGIS Web Appbuilder. She likes camping and hiking.