Why is there a broken sign with the yellow triangle with an exclamation in the Map Contents on the web client?

Jump to solution
12-11-2015 01:35 PM
PeterLi1
New Contributor III

There will be always presenting a broken sign with the yellow triangle and an exclamation in the map contents on the web client for a feature layer with the point data type by using ArcGIS Server services.

The symptons and user environment are described belows. Our initial diagnosis is that ArcGIS Server could not handle a query (when doing zoom-in/out within a certain map scale) with a certain large number of Point data for the display for the map service of the featureclass in the ArcSDE database. This query seems simply terminated unreasonably always. However, the query launched from the query builder does not have any problem.

The annoying broken layer happens when the number of points in the featureclass table of ArcSDE database are about 36,000,000 now. However, the query limitation for the number of points for the display from the map services in ArcGIS server is set to 2000 around.

However, this problem never happens when the number of points are around 90,000 within any map scale.

Our application environment is:  ArcGIS Server 2010 and MS SQL Server 2008 R2.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterLi1
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot. Looks the way you suggested works. Our initial setting is 1000. I need to find a balance with having both good performance in displaying large number of of point data and no broken layer. It degrades the performance for the point data display and the grid table with the point data, when setting maximum number of records returned by ArcGIS Server is 100000. I set it to 10000. Looks no broken layer happens, but still slow to display.

There is no reason to have a broken layer shown in the map contents, when setting maximum number of records returned by ArcGIS Server is 1000, or less. Is that a bug in ArcGIS Server?

Thanks,

Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

My first thought would be to change the default number of records in the map service to 100000 plus, this may allow you to see the large number that you are expecting.

0 Kudos
PeterLi1
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot. Looks the way you suggested works. Our initial setting is 1000. I need to find a balance with having both good performance in displaying large number of of point data and no broken layer. It degrades the performance for the point data display and the grid table with the point data, when setting maximum number of records returned by ArcGIS Server is 100000. I set it to 10000. Looks no broken layer happens, but still slow to display.

There is no reason to have a broken layer shown in the map contents, when setting maximum number of records returned by ArcGIS Server is 1000, or less. Is that a bug in ArcGIS Server?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
PeterLi1
New Contributor III

As found, looks it still happens afterwards, even though setting it to 100,000 for the records returned.

Problem is temporily resolved by increasing the timeout and returning less records: 1000, instead of 100,000.

However, the layer on the map contents should not be broken in the web application for this case, no matter what happens. Error message would be better to deal with what happens to the layer.

0 Kudos