Why completed Tiles are zero on a map service with cache?

Jump to solution
05-07-2017 04:32 PM
MarkMindlin
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

We have a working map service with tile cache.

The "View Cache Status..." gets the following window

Why completed Tiles are zero on a map service with cache?

The version is 10.3

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

There are several threads and I have also seen some strange tile Cache Status, but seldom one that is all zeros when a cache is present.   The service obviously knows that caching is checked, or this status check would probably give an error, I would think.  

What does the "Job Status" tab report?  Does it see any services currently running? does it show any that are completed?  

Did you by any chance transfer/copy the cache from a different version (I.e. 10.2?) and if so, can you double check that the tiles are in the correct directory?  Sometimes the paths change slightly between versions. ( Also, I know the compact version between 10.2 and 10.5 are not compatible ... I know you are using 10.3, but just mentioning for future)

i would suggest deletling (or moving) the Status.gdb for the cache folder and rerunning the command to query/recreated it.  1) it should recreated it and give a fresh view, and 2) if it doesn't recreate it, as mentioned above, check that the expected path is actually the one the system is writing to.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

There are several threads and I have also seen some strange tile Cache Status, but seldom one that is all zeros when a cache is present.   The service obviously knows that caching is checked, or this status check would probably give an error, I would think.  

What does the "Job Status" tab report?  Does it see any services currently running? does it show any that are completed?  

Did you by any chance transfer/copy the cache from a different version (I.e. 10.2?) and if so, can you double check that the tiles are in the correct directory?  Sometimes the paths change slightly between versions. ( Also, I know the compact version between 10.2 and 10.5 are not compatible ... I know you are using 10.3, but just mentioning for future)

i would suggest deletling (or moving) the Status.gdb for the cache folder and rerunning the command to query/recreated it.  1) it should recreated it and give a fresh view, and 2) if it doesn't recreate it, as mentioned above, check that the expected path is actually the one the system is writing to.

MarkMindlin
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you Rebecca,

The cache was created in an older version (10.0) and served with a 10.3 service now. I will try to recreate.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

10.0 to 10.3 is quite a big leap, but I think you will be happy with anything 10.1 + since once you get used to it, managing the services it much easier. If it is a small cache, it probably wouldn't hurt to recreate it, but if large, you may want to try a few other things first.

If I recall, there were changes in the folder naming/structure, so here are a few suggestions (if you can't recreate):

• With the 10.0 cache in another folder (may need to stop service, move and restart), create the "structure" for the new cache so that any changes to the config.xml etc are recreated.  Then move just the "_alllayers" and subfolders over, restart the service and see if that works. 
  • Or move the folders back to a safe place (if you didn't already store a backup) and take a look at Import Map Server Cache—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

edit: and just because it does save space (a lot) and time when copying between, I suggest using the compact folder once it is all working (or if recreated) Upgrade Map Server Cache Storage Format—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop    Keep in mind, if you use the compact folders direct (i.e. outside a service), 10.2. and lower can not see the 10.3 and higher compact format.  And 10.5 (maybe 10.4?) can not see the folder directly of the 10.2 compact format.  If you don't view it in this manner, that is, outside the service, then don't worry about this statement.  But I find sending the cache to remote offices that have slow network/internet connections is a nice feature.  just fyi.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can update the cache using the Manage Map Server Cache Tiles tool. In the tool dialog box, set the Update Mode parameter to Recreate All Tiles.

Think Location
0 Kudos