Whoops. Deleted cache folders in C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgiscache\ -now entire server is stopped.

09-12-2022 08:43 AM
skoglor
New Contributor II

Hello! We started running out of disk space and we had the bright idea of just dumping some huge folders for ortho test image services and map services that we knew we didn't need any more.  We deleted folders from here. C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgiscache

Well that broke stuff. The folders we deleted, their services now say "stopping.." and the server itself has a status of stopped. 

Any help is appreciated. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Can you not go into the Recycle Bin and restore those folders, then restart the Server service on the machine?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
skoglor
New Contributor II

Hi George, nope, because I also emptied the bin.. Annnnd this was done right before the backup cycle so I can't retrieve from the vhdx.  

I'm wondering if using server manager to change the location of the cache directory could help? It says "Clicking "Apply" will copy all existing configuration files to the new location and restart all of your services." Perhaps that process might cull the deleted ones? 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Yikes!

I am not sure about changing the location of the cache directory. I do not think that will have an impact, since the files are gone and will just copy what is currently there.

Do you have an older backup that could be restored to copy the files from?
May not be the most up to date, but get you part of the way there.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
skoglor
New Contributor II

Some folders were just too new to be captured by the latest backup unfortunately.  

0 Kudos