Where are the Linux Native Clients for MS SQL 2012?

Jump to solution
06-23-2016 02:12 PM
MarkLittell
New Contributor III

I have an ESRI ArcGIS 10.3.1 Linux server.

I am trying to register a MS SQL 2012 Database to it - it fails with:

Machine: <snip>[<snip>: The connection property set was missing a required property or the property value was unrecognized. Underlying DBMS error [Unknown errorNo extended error.]]

Looking into this, it appears I need the MS SQL Native Client for the ArcGIS server - I can find it for an installation on a Windows OS.

Where can I find the Linux Native Clients for MS SQL 2012?

Please don't say - my.esri.com - I have scoured over that site and still come up empty.

Thanks for your help.

- Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You cannot connect from ArcGIS for Server Linux to SQL Server per the documentation,

You cannot connect to SQL Server from ArcGIS for Server on Linux.

ArcGIS 10.4.x for Server system requirements—Installation Guides (10.4.1) | ArcGIS for Server

--- George T.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I've never come across the MS SQL Native Client for Linux.  It looks like there's a ODBC driver for MS SQL on Linux:
Introducing the new Microsoft ODBC Drivers for SQL Server | Microsoft SQLNCli team blog

I don't think that'll take the place of the Native Client required for ArcGIS Server, though...

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You cannot connect from ArcGIS for Server Linux to SQL Server per the documentation,

You cannot connect to SQL Server from ArcGIS for Server on Linux.

ArcGIS 10.4.x for Server system requirements—Installation Guides (10.4.1) | ArcGIS for Server

--- George T.
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

It's an old thread - but for completeness the ArcGIS now supports connecting to Microsoft SQL Server databases on Linux. You can also create geodatabases in SQL Server on Linux. In addition, you can connect from ArcGIS Server on Linux to SQL Server on Windows or Linux.  Introduced in 10.6

What's new in ArcGIS Server 10.6  

0 Kudos