What qualifies as 'ArcGIS'?

Jump to solution
01-08-2020 12:11 PM
HeatherScroggins
Occasional Contributor II

My department is is the process of upgrading our SQL Sever and I'm trying to make sure everything will be compatible afterwards. I found the help documentation below but am confused as to what 'ArcGIS' encompasses. Is that Desktop, is it the geodatabase, is it ArcGIS Enterprise, is it all of the above?

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.7.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.4—System Requirements ... 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Heather,

> Is ArcGIS for Server 10.3 compatible with SQL Server 2019?

Adding onto what George posted, I would say "no". And even if you were able to get the set-up working, if you were to encounter any technical issues, then getting help from esri Tech Support would be challenging. As suggested, it would be best if you were to upgrade ArcGIS Server to a more recent release.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Heather,

> My department is is the process of upgrading our SQL Sever and I'm trying to make sure everything will be compatible afterwards. ... Is that Desktop, is it the geodatabase, is it ArcGIS Enterprise, is it all of the above?

The high level answer is "all of the above". To be more specific, there are 2 products in your list:

• ArcGIS Desktop (which has 2 separate products: i) ArcMap and ii) ArcGIS Pro)
  • ArcGIS Enterprise (which is composed of 4 components: i) Portal for ArcGIS, ii) GIS Server, iii) ArcGIS Data Store, and iv) ArcGIS Web Adaptor)

And the "geodatabase" is the spatial data model for storing GIS data in a DBMS platform. In your case, it's SQL Server and I suspect you have an enterprise geodatabase.

So are you just upgrading the enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server or the full software stack?

Hope this helps,

HeatherScroggins
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Derek,

I think you answered my question.

We are upgrading SQL Server itself. From 2014 to potentially 2019. My main concern is the compatibility with ArcGIS for Server. We have 2 installations of 10.5 which I'm not really concerned about I figure they will be fine. But then we also have 2 installations of 10.3 which are the ones I'm worried about. So I guess I should have just asked the direct question of, "Is ArcGIS for Server 10.3 compatible with SQL Server 2019?". 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

That may be a difficult question to answer since SQL Server 2019 just came out and ArcGIS (anything) 10.3.x came out in Dec. 2014; Esri Support ArcGIS Server 10.3 (10.3.1) 

Just to note: Support for ArcGIS 10.3.x ends in Nov. 2020

I would recommend if you are upgrading the SQL Server to 2017/2019 to also make sure that the version of ArcGIS being used supports that SQL Server version. This will prevent some potential version issues.

Update: Added other groups for visibility: GeodatabaseEnterprise GIS

--- George T.
DerekLaw

Hi Heather,

> Is ArcGIS for Server 10.3 compatible with SQL Server 2019?

Adding onto what George posted, I would say "no". And even if you were able to get the set-up working, if you were to encounter any technical issues, then getting help from esri Tech Support would be challenging. As suggested, it would be best if you were to upgrade ArcGIS Server to a more recent release.

Hope this helps,