What is a Portal search index item?

Jump to solution
03-17-2020 11:12 PM
davehorsey1
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what the Portal search index actually indexes? The Portal user index and the Portal group index are clear to me, but what is a Portal search item - is it simply a Portal item? I have a customer whose Portal search index increased by 755, but if I search for uploaded/created content in Portal for the same time period, I only get 39 results.

Suggestions and guesses are welcome.

Thanks, Dave

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The search index are the items in the portal. These aren't solely the user-created items, though, it also contains any system items or any items included with the install. If you enabled Living Atlas or any additional languages, you'll see the search index increase.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The search index are the items in the portal. These aren't solely the user-created items, though, it also contains any system items or any items included with the install. If you enabled Living Atlas or any additional languages, you'll see the search index increase.

0 Kudos
davehorsey1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jonathan Quinn‌. Is there any documentation that you are aware of describing the different items included in the search index?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

No, I'm not aware of any documentation, but it would be any item in the portal. Again, that could be user created items, Living Atlas, pre-installed apps, languages, etc. Any item in the portal will be indexed and searchable. There are some caveats, (what languages you have enabled, if you have LA enabled, etc).