Web Tool User-Defined Input Data

Jump to solution
12-03-2020 02:50 PM
DylanMurphy
New Contributor II

Hi, I am relatively new to enterprise and authoring/publishing web tools, so bear with me.

I am attempting to publish a web tool that will allow for the end-user (non-GIS professionals in my organization) to provide a pair of .csv files as input for analysis. This tool will have to be run many times with different input files as they become available and thus I need the tool to allow the user to upload/select their own input data. However, I am struggling to understand how to do this. The model tool I am trying to publish works successfully in ArcGIS Pro and has input parameters for selecting the relevant .csv files. When I publish the web tool, though, I can only run the tool using the inputs that I used to run the model tool prior to publishing.

How would I set this tool up to allow the end-user to upload their own .csv files for analysis?

Thanks for any help you can provide - surely there is something simple that I am missing here. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dylan, 

When publishing the analysis result as a geoprocessing service, you can configure the input mode for each parameter from the Content panel of the Geoprocessing pane. 

The options for Input mode are:

• User defined value
  • Choice list
  • Constant

If you change the input mode to user defined value, then the client will be prompted to provide the input for the tool when running the geoprocessing service. 

You can learn more about these settings here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/analysis/geoprocessing/share-analysis/geoprocessing-services-...

Hope this helps!

-Calvin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dylan, 

When publishing the analysis result as a geoprocessing service, you can configure the input mode for each parameter from the Content panel of the Geoprocessing pane. 

The options for Input mode are:

• User defined value
  • Choice list
  • Constant

If you change the input mode to user defined value, then the client will be prompted to provide the input for the tool when running the geoprocessing service. 

You can learn more about these settings here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/analysis/geoprocessing/share-analysis/geoprocessing-services-...

Hope this helps!

-Calvin

0 Kudos
DylanMurphy
New Contributor II

Thanks, Calvin! This is exactly what I needed. I knew I must be missing something simple - I had no idea that the menu to edit the input parameters for the tool in the content panel existed. Appreciate the assistance!

0 Kudos
MoritzHackenberg
New Contributor II

I cannot edit the parameters settings. It's fixed on constant.

0 Kudos
AlexWhitesell
New Contributor II

I am trying a similar workflow and want to make sure I am understanding correctly. From ArcPro, I run a given tool as I need it to run in the Enterprise Portal. After running the tool, I can view the history and "share as web tool". To allow for a user to input data to run the tool from the portal, I need to change the configuration to allow upload? Is that all that is needed? I have tried but keep getting an error that the data needed is not available. 

0 Kudos