Web service metrics

03-29-2014 10:05 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I am looking for a tool to measure the usage of our gis server services and applications. 
We need to measure which maps are being used, by whom, when, from where?  I am currently looking at Optimizer from Latitude Geographics,  Geosystems Monitor from Vestra, and Splunk.  How do you measure and report your usage?  Is there a tool from ESRI that does this?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
It helps to state which version of ArcGIS you are using when making a post.  To answer your question though, here are two ways you can derive usage information (although there are other methods besides just these):

Mine the ArcGIS Server Logs
Starting at 10.1, the ArcGIS Server Administrator API allows you to mine information about individual services in order to get usage information, which is covered here.  To go a step further, you can automatically construct a feature class with the most highly-requested extents based on the example provided here.  If you're clever with Python, you'll be able to collect some additional information using similar techniques.  If you're using ArcGIS 10.0 or earlier, you can still parse the ArcGIS Server log files (.DAT files) but you'll have to get a bit more complex with the scripting (which can be done using Windows batch, PowerShell, or Python scripting). 

Parse the IIS W3SVC Web Logs
The W3SVC log files (typically located at C:/WINDOWS/system32/LogFiles/W3SVC1 on a Windows 2003 machine) show the GET and POST requests made to the website from client machines.  The information typically includes the URL being requested along with a file download size, a time/date stamp, the client IP address, and a return code (200, 404, 403, 500, etc.).  You can use Windows batch scripting, PowerShell, or Python scripting to periodically parse the most current log file for the information you care about. 

I have evaluated the GeoSystems Monitor application in depth.  It's a pretty nice tool for collecting metrics, but the statistics backend data store for storing the usage information must be SQL Server or SQLite.  Oracle is not supported at this time, although that may not impact you. 

If the response I provided answers your question, please mark the correct answer with the green check.
ermiastesfamariam
New Contributor II

Hi William,

The links that you are referring to are not available. Could you post the full URLs to the articles you are mentioning?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Jake,

I am looking for a tool to measure the usage of our gis server services and applications. We need to measure which maps are being used, by whom, when, from where? ... Is there a tool from ESRI that does this?

For an AGOL organization, you can use the Activity Dashboard which is available free from the Esri MarketPlace.
There is also a version for Portal for ArcGIS, learn more and get it from here.

In the forthcoming ArcGIS 10.3 for Server release, Manager will have some reporting capabilities that will show things like:
- total # of requests
- average response time
- maximum response time
etc.

Hope this helps,
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just found this sample code in the documentation

Example: Create a report of all service requests—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos