Select to view content in your preferred language

Web Adaptors: one web server, two web adaptors pointing to two different AGS server sites?

Jump to solution
12-04-2023 09:21 AM
MKF62
by
Regular Contributor

I'm trying to figure out if this is possible, and if so, is it advisable or is it better to have two separate web servers, one for dev and one for prod? I've been reading Install Multiple ArcGIS Web Adaptors and it sounds like one website can have multiple web adaptors, but the thing that isn't clear to me is that if each web adaptor can be pointing to different server sites or can multiple web adaptors only be used if all those web adaptors are pointing to the same server site? This is what I am thinking of doing, but can't figure out if it's possible (and advisable):

OneWeb.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

The recommendation is to always have a separate webserver for development and for production.

This way you will have 2 URLs.

www.domain-dev.com (development) and www.domain.com (production).

This makes things easier, especially when you need to make changes in the development webserver to test the changes first before you apply the same changes in the production webserver.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |

View solution in original post

JonathanEpstein
New Contributor III

Hi @MKF62 .     We run nginx in front of our Esri web adaptors.   It provides a lot of flexibility.

I suggest adding nginx or another simple reverse web proxy for your use case.    A single nginx proxy will be able to route traffic to your two web adaptors, based upon the "dev" and "prod" paths, as you show in your diagram.

( from my point of view, your arrows are backwards, since IMO such arrows should reflect the direction in which traffic moves )

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

The recommendation is to always have a separate webserver for development and for production.

This way you will have 2 URLs.

www.domain-dev.com (development) and www.domain.com (production).

This makes things easier, especially when you need to make changes in the development webserver to test the changes first before you apply the same changes in the production webserver.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
JonathanEpstein
New Contributor III

Hi @MKF62 .     We run nginx in front of our Esri web adaptors.   It provides a lot of flexibility.

I suggest adding nginx or another simple reverse web proxy for your use case.    A single nginx proxy will be able to route traffic to your two web adaptors, based upon the "dev" and "prod" paths, as you show in your diagram.

( from my point of view, your arrows are backwards, since IMO such arrows should reflect the direction in which traffic moves )

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

I 100% totally agree with  MarceloMarques.  It is best to have them on separate web servers.  but technically yes, you can install a web adaptor called dev and configure it to use your dev ArcGIS Server instance.  A second web adaptor with a different name could point to your prod Server.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/web-adaptor/latest/install/iis/install-multiple-arcgis-web-adaptors...

My advice here is that just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.  :--)

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/