Web Adaptor for Server

Jump to solution
10-22-2014 08:42 AM
MattDeFoor
New Contributor II

Is a separate instance of the Web Adaptor required for Server when using Portal? I currently have 10.3 Server, Portal, and a Web Adaptor for each installed. In the name of streamlining and simplifying, I would prefer to drop the Web Adaptor instance for Server. Although I think I read somewhere that it is required in the scenario I'm running.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

What is the scenario you are running?

The Web Adaptor itself can connect to both ArcGIS Server and Portal, but Single Sign-On/Integrated Windows Authentication requires two installations of the Web Adaptor.  I suppose you could drop the AGS Adaptor entirely (at the cost of the benefits of having an Adaptor in front of AGS), but an SSO Portal requires an independent Adaptor

- V

View solution in original post

2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

What is the scenario you are running?

The Web Adaptor itself can connect to both ArcGIS Server and Portal, but Single Sign-On/Integrated Windows Authentication requires two installations of the Web Adaptor.  I suppose you could drop the AGS Adaptor entirely (at the cost of the benefits of having an Adaptor in front of AGS), but an SSO Portal requires an independent Adaptor

- V

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

I agree with Vince. When I implement portal, I always install 2 web adaptors on the same web server, typically one named 'server' and the other named 'portal'. I then implement SSL all the way through the software stack. This isn't required in all situations, but like Vince mentioned, if you're going to use IWA at the web tier, you'll need two web adaptors.