View system logs without manager access?

Jump to solution
12-02-2015 09:56 AM
VenusScott
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a tool or template where I can give departmental staff access to view the ArcGIS Server logs without giving them access to the manager and administrator access?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Venus,

I am not aware of any tool or template that meets your requirement above. Typically, you would only allow admins to access and view the ArcGIS Server logs. "Regular" users would not need this type of info.

May I ask for more context/background on what you are trying to do?

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Venus,

I am not aware of any tool or template that meets your requirement above. Typically, you would only allow admins to access and view the ArcGIS Server logs. "Regular" users would not need this type of info.

May I ask for more context/background on what you are trying to do?

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
VenusScott

We are allowing our GIS community of users the ability to publish their own map/feature services on our "test" server. We do not allow them access to server manager however. There have been occasions where I, as an administrator, needed to review the server logs to determine why a service did not process as I had intended. I want our publishers to be able to look at the server logs without my intervention and to be interrupted constantly to assist in debugging why a service did not publish as expected. Is there a table I can do queries against to get this information and then provide them with a report of errors? What tables are these errors maintained in?

DerekLaw

Hi Venus,

Thanks for the additional info. Some comments,

> I want our publishers to be able to look at the server logs without my intervention and to be interrupted constantly to assist in debugging why a service did not publish as expected.

I would argue that when a publisher is unsuccessful in attempting to publish a web service, that the appropriate error messaging would/should appear in ArcMap, no?

If there is a "deeper" cause related to the GIS Server preventing publishing a web service, then I'd guess that it would require someone with admin privileges on the Server site to a) determine what the issue was, and b) to address it, no?

You can query the GIS Server via the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory to get info from the logs, but this would have to be accessed by a Server site admin. I don't think a publisher would be able to access this info.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Venus,

I had this page bookmarked, but haven't ever tried.  But I wonder if you can do something with this?  I'll include the 10.3 and 10.1/10.2 help docs.

Example: Query the ArcGIS Server logs—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

It looks like you still need admin/publisher credentials, but maybe this can be made into a service?  Anyway, haven't played with it yet....but obviously I thought I would at some point.

MichaelRobb

As answered, there is no Tool or template, this is a .net custom solution.  Completely doable.  However, in a higher level overview... This is what Portal is for, no?. Not sure the business direction here to want to go this route...

0 Kudos
VenusScott

We are just now looking into Portal. I have high hopes for it, but we'll see . . .

0 Kudos