Utility Network on Kubernetes

Jump to solution
08-22-2021 03:24 AM
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there,

As the Utility Network is now part of ArcGIS Server with a Portal license (eg no longer an extension). In theory we should be able to do an ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9+ deployment on Kubernetes with the Utility Network. Is this actually possible?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TrevorSeaton
Esri Contributor

Thanks Anthony for your message. At this time Utility Network is not supported when using ArcGIS Enterprise on Kubernetes. The underlying reasons are less to do with how it is licensed, and more about functional dependencies and technical work still remaining. It is on our roadmap, but not expected to be in the next release. We'll post more details when they are available.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
TrevorSeaton
Esri Contributor

Thanks Anthony for your message. At this time Utility Network is not supported when using ArcGIS Enterprise on Kubernetes. The underlying reasons are less to do with how it is licensed, and more about functional dependencies and technical work still remaining. It is on our roadmap, but not expected to be in the next release. We'll post more details when they are available.

AnthonyRyanEQL

Trevor,

Thanks for the information. It's a pity it isn't coming sooner as we have seen some performance related items and was hoping this could help with that. So I would maybe see something around the 10.10+ mark (Q3 2022)?

GGounder
New Contributor

Would it be possible to deploy a UN on an ArcGIS Server (installed on a Windows VM) which is federated to a k8 ArcGIS Enterprise?

0 Kudos
AnthonyRyanEQL

I have been told this is possible

0 Kudos
TrevorSeaton
Esri Contributor

On a functional level, this is possible to run UN outside of the Kubernetes deployment and rely on federation. However there are configurations where this kind of setup can result in degraded performance compared to what you would see if running on a traditional non-federated system, so it still isn't an approach we recommend broadly, and it may not address the performance concern raised later by the poster. Please talk with your Esri representative if you want to pursue an evaluation of this setup and thanks for engaging with Technical Support if you are having specific issues with your environment. Thanks-

0 Kudos
TrevorSeaton
Esri Contributor

We can't typically provide a timeframe for such future releases. But we would very much like more detail  about the performance items you mentioned; if you haven't already can you please share more detail with your Esri representative? Thanks!

0 Kudos
AnthonyRyanEQL

Trevor,

Our vendor & Esri rep is definitely aware. Thanks

0 Kudos
LaurePillet2
New Contributor II

hi there, 

i am curious on  ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1+ deployment on Kubernetes with the Utility Network.

is it still not supported ?

thanks in advance for your feedbacks.

regards.

0 Kudos
Craigalanlewis1
New Contributor

I guess the biggest question on my mind after reading this thread is, "Is Utility Network support on the roadmap  for inclusion in the Kubernetes deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise? " I have been scouring the roadmap sessions and either I missed this, or no one is mentioning this.

I know there is  also discussion in this thread that there may be a performance penalty for deploying a Utility Network ArcGIS server instance federated to a Kubernetes deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise 11.x. But what I can't seem to find any information on is the success or lack there of, of federating a multi server site including load balancing of UN Server instances to the Kubernetes deployment. 

We would like to consider an option of moving to 11.1 Kubernetes deployment with federated UN Server Site and user managed SQL database (in cloud or on prem) with the idea that by the time or not too long there after the time that we get the system deployed and into production, maybe UN support in Kubernetes will be close or at least on the horizon.  

0 Kudos