(user) connection to GIS Servers from Catalog does not show secured folders?

Jump to solution
12-23-2015 08:07 AM
RickThiel
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

First, some background before I ask my question: 

• ArcCatalog version 10.2.1
  • ArcGIS Server 10.2.1
  • IIS Web Adaptor
  • Windows Domain (AD) User Store
  • Windows Domain (AD) Role Store
  • Authentication Mode: Web

Question.  I have noticed that when I create a GIS Server connection in ArcCatalog, with my own credentials, why is there a big difference when i create a (user) connection when compared to an (admin) connection?  The user connection will not give me visibility to any secured directory on ArcGIS Server, even though I have the correct AD Roles for all of these directories.  But, when I log in as (admin) or (publisher), I can see all the directories.

CatalogConnectionsToAGS_diffBetweenAdminAndUser.jpg

Can someone explain why that is happening?  Thank you, --Rick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickThiel
Occasional Contributor

Ha, I think I just figured out the answer my own question...

When you use port 6080 or 6443 in the Server URL of your connection, that means you are going directly to ESRI’s Apache web server.  Most of the time that is fine.  But it bypasses the authorization mechanisms of IIS, and that is why I could not see any of the secured Server directories.

Here is a better way:

CidwingisConnections_thisWorks.jpg

Enter the Server URL without any port numbers and that will take you through the IIS Web Adaptor which handles the authorization mechanisms.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RickThiel
Occasional Contributor

Ha, I think I just figured out the answer my own question...

When you use port 6080 or 6443 in the Server URL of your connection, that means you are going directly to ESRI’s Apache web server.  Most of the time that is fine.  But it bypasses the authorization mechanisms of IIS, and that is why I could not see any of the secured Server directories.

Here is a better way:

CidwingisConnections_thisWorks.jpg

Enter the Server URL without any port numbers and that will take you through the IIS Web Adaptor which handles the authorization mechanisms.

MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

Correct.  You must look at services through the web adaptor so that IIS authenticates you with Kerberos or whatever you are using for WIndows Auth on IIS for ArcGIS Server to expose the secure directories and services.  This must also mean that you have AD tied to ArcGIS Server as well. If you were using ArcGIS Store and not AD, you would be able to hit HTTP or HTTPS (6443) services.