Select to view content in your preferred language

Upload Scene Service to Image Server

Jump to solution
07-17-2023 09:41 AM
mattkramer
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am wondering how to share a scene layer to my image server from ArcGIS Pro. I would like to configure my tile cache data store with my image server instead of my hosting server but when I do this, I am unable to share scene services through the table of contents as this defaults all copied layers to the hosting server. This would be valuable so my hosting server does not need to handle this as well as the 2D layers we currently have running. I have been told that it is possible to share scene services through the catalog similar to raster datasets and the "Share As Web Layer" option but I am not seeing that when I select my 3DObject or Multipatch feature layers.

I am running ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 and ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2

Raster Layer in catalog:

mattkramer_0-1689611908437.png

3D Layer in Catalog:

mattkramer_1-1689611967074.png

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SimonSchütte_ct
Occasional Contributor III

I don´t think it is possible to share a web scene to another server than the hosting server.

SimonSchtte_ct_0-1689683505232.png

The normal option in your case would be to move your 2D Services to the Image Server and only use the ArcGIs Hosting server for Scene Layers. Probably not feasible, as you would need to migrate your services.

It may be possible to have a Image Server enabled Hosting Server, but you have to check back with your local distributor to make sure it is possible to do this with your license. In principle it is possible to activate a Server with a Server license and then enable the Image Server License on top of that. (This is not a scenario that Esri recommends, but in your case it may be an option) Reference: How do I install Image Server 10.5.1 on the same m... - Esri Community. In that scenario it may be possible to set this Server as hosting Server with Image Server capabilities enabled and use the other ArcGIS Server as 2D Maps Server only. But that is definitely something that should be tested first before trying it in production 😉

Federate an ArcGIS Server site with your portal—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterpr...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SimonSchütte_ct

When adding a feature service to a map or scene, I can publish it to a server of my choice:

SimonSchtte_ct_1-1689677874261.png

When I try to share a web scene, I don´t see any options to choose a server.

In the Portal Settings -> Servers I don´t see any settings that would allow to enable Web Scene hosting on the image server.

0 Kudos
mattkramer

In your screenshot, you are referencing registered data which won't copy data to the server. If you select one of the "Copy all data" options, the ability to choose a server goes away. I am assuming that this means that you are unable to utilize a tile cache data store unless it is configured with the hosting site.

0 Kudos
SimonSchütte_ct

I don´t think it is possible to share a web scene to another server than the hosting server.

SimonSchtte_ct_0-1689683505232.png

The normal option in your case would be to move your 2D Services to the Image Server and only use the ArcGIs Hosting server for Scene Layers. Probably not feasible, as you would need to migrate your services.

It may be possible to have a Image Server enabled Hosting Server, but you have to check back with your local distributor to make sure it is possible to do this with your license. In principle it is possible to activate a Server with a Server license and then enable the Image Server License on top of that. (This is not a scenario that Esri recommends, but in your case it may be an option) Reference: How do I install Image Server 10.5.1 on the same m... - Esri Community. In that scenario it may be possible to set this Server as hosting Server with Image Server capabilities enabled and use the other ArcGIS Server as 2D Maps Server only. But that is definitely something that should be tested first before trying it in production 😉

Federate an ArcGIS Server site with your portal—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterpr...

0 Kudos
mattkramer

Makes sense. At the end of the day I was really looking to separate the servers that had hosted feature layers and hosted scene layers and even if I can get an image server to act as my hosting server it would still be handling both so I won't have to go too far down that road. Thank you for the help!

0 Kudos