Upgrading ArcDE Enterprise geodatabase

03-04-2019 10:00 PM
Tshering_Lham
New Contributor II

I have my current ArcSDE Enterprise Geodatabase at version 9.2 on MSSQL Server 2008.i am planning to replace MSSQL server 2008 with PostgreSQL 9.4.5(Which is compatible with ArcGIS 10.4).

Could anyone advise me if i have to upgrade my current geodatabase to 10.4 before replacing MSSQL with PostgreSQL?

i created geodatabase in PostgreSQL(VERSION 10.4) and imported schema+data using XML Workspace/XML recordsets method in ArcCatalog(client 10.4). I was able to succesfully import but wondering if ot the correct way.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

I believe once you transfer everything through schema+data using XML Workspace/XML you are OK.

VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS 9.2 is so ancient that it uses a different geodatabase model. Exporting though simple features (XML, file geodatabase, personal geodatabase, or if desperate, shapefiles [though ASCII is probably less lossy than shapefile]) and starting fresh in a new database is your only viable methodology.

As to the PostgreSQL release, you ought to be starting with 9.4.21, which is also compatible with ArcGIS 10.4/10.4.1 (but has fewer known security bugs). 

And there isn't any reason to start using ArcGIS 10.4 when 10.4.1 is the long-term supported release. Starting with 10.5.1 or 10.6.1 would allow access to PG 9.5 and 9.6, respectively, and pull you back from the precipice of PG 9.4 end-of-life (Dec 2019)

- V

0 Kudos
Tshering_Lham
New Contributor II

Thanks for sharing your thought.

I upgraded my EGDB 9.3 in MSSQL Server 2008 to EGDB 10.4.1 in MSSQL Server 2012 and then did a drag/drop method to transfer my data+schema to EGDB 10.4.1 in Postgres(9.4.5). it seems to be working fine at least to me. Would appreciate if you could please share whether the method i followed is correct .

Thanks alot.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

Again, there are security flaws in PG 9.4.5. Best practice it to start with the most recent build of the PG major release (9.4.21 for PG 9.4).

The documentation doesn't show any geodatabase upgrade path from 9.3 to 10.4.1. You description is at odds with what is possible.

- V

0 Kudos
Tshering_Lham
New Contributor II

Thanks Vince.

what i did was upgrade from 9.3 to 10.2.2 and then to 10.4.1. 

And if you could please comment if the drag/drop method of transferring data+schema from mssql to postgres will be complete and correct. i could view the data in arcmap  from postgres EGDB without any issues. Just wondering if i haven't missed anything which is beyond my knowledge!

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

Having gone through the extra steps of upgrading SQL Server and ArcGIS (twice), then drag-n-drop should be sufficient.

- V

0 Kudos
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

one very helpful link from the Esri help is this

Migrating to high precision

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/geodatabases/migrating-to-high-precision.htm