Select to view content in your preferred language

Upgrade Enterprise site with only web adaptor to 10.9.1

Jump to solution
07-19-2023 09:33 AM
KevinPiraino2
Regular Contributor

Looking to get some guidance on upgrading an ArcGIS Enterprise site from 10.7.1 to 10.9.1 when the existing site only uses a single web adaptor. As it stands the Portal and Server site both share the same web adaptor (arcgis) and as dictated by ESRI documentation, this isn't supported anymore. My thought was to follow the below workflow to complete this upgrade, but was looking for any additional guidance or advice. 

1. Unregister existing web adaptor with ArcGIS Server

2. Upgrade Portal

3. Uninstall/Re-install web adaptor for Portal --> use "arcgis" name

4. Upgrade ArcGIS Server (AGS)

5. Install web adaptor for AGS --> use "server" name

6. Upgrade datastore

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@EricKriener  - if you open the 10.9.1 doc link below and look the steps under "Perform an upgrade of your portal deployment", you will see that it asks to uninstall the Web Adaptor before doing the upgrade.

Upgrade your ArcGIS Enterprise portal—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise (10.9.1)

But the 11.2 documentation this was rectified and now under "Perform an upgrade of your portal deployment", you will see that it asks to uninstall / install the Web Adaptor after the upgrade.

Upgrade Portal for ArcGIS—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise  (11.2)

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
0 Kudos
EricKriener
Frequent Contributor

so what's the correct way? I've been doing it after since ArcGIS Server was a thing...

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@EricKriener  I don't think they is a definitive answer once the documentation has conflicting information, But I have been doing this way for many years, uninstall and install the Web Adaptor after the Upgrade and never had issues, but I know of folks that followed the documentation to the letter and uninstall the Web Adaptor before the Upgrade and also never had issues.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
0 Kudos