Export list ArcGIS Server users, moving from ArcGIS Server to ArcGIS Enterprise with Portal

Jump to solution
11-17-2023 11:06 AM
AndreaB_
Occasional Contributor II

Hello all,

I am moving my organization from a stand alone ArcGIS Server 10.8.1 to a new installation of ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 Server federated with Portal (on a different server data center with a different domain etc). I currently have 100 pages of ArcGIS Server user names in the ArcGIS Server Manager and the configuration settings say the user store is using an existing enterprise system - Windows Domain. 

AndreaB__0-1700247798363.png

AndreaB__1-1700247832182.png

A few questions: 

Can I get a list of the user names exported from ArcGIS Server Manager? I'm not sure how this works. Is it every single person on our domain that got automatically added as a user in this list when it was first installed?

I need to get these users into the new environment in Portal 11.1.

In this new environment we will have some outside users that will not be part of our Windows Domain. Best practices and ideas on that?

I'm thinking of just using the built-in Portal identity store. Do I have to manually enter this 100-page list of names?

I appreciate any insight you have on this.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

I'm probably only able to help with the second half of your question. I'm not sure how or if it's possible to export a list of users from a standalone ArcGIS Server site. 

However, you can import users into Portal in bulk using a CSV file. This page has some information on various methods of importing users. Obviously you'll still have to put the users in the CSV one by one, but you'll still be able to import them all at once. https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/add-members-to-your-portal.htm

Using the built-in accounts will definitely accommodate users outside of your Windows Domain and will be the easiest to setup and configure imo. However, there are advantages of using AD accounts for authentication, such as one less account for your end user to manage as well as the security of your AD accounts will be managed by IT as opposed to the GIS Admin.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

I'm probably only able to help with the second half of your question. I'm not sure how or if it's possible to export a list of users from a standalone ArcGIS Server site. 

However, you can import users into Portal in bulk using a CSV file. This page has some information on various methods of importing users. Obviously you'll still have to put the users in the CSV one by one, but you'll still be able to import them all at once. https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/add-members-to-your-portal.htm

Using the built-in accounts will definitely accommodate users outside of your Windows Domain and will be the easiest to setup and configure imo. However, there are advantages of using AD accounts for authentication, such as one less account for your end user to manage as well as the security of your AD accounts will be managed by IT as opposed to the GIS Admin.

0 Kudos
AndreaB_
Occasional Contributor II

thanks!

I also just stumbled upon this https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/enterprise-administration/server/getusers.htm so then I saved the HTML page and brought that into excel. 

0 Kudos