Select to view content in your preferred language

Update geometry on postgresql on Amazon AWS directly

Jump to solution
01-17-2023 07:06 AM
KelvinCheng
New Contributor

hi there, I wonder if direct sql update statement on geometry column is fully supported or not

for ArcGIS Server 10 or above. I am using Amazon RDS postgresql for the enterprise database.

The problem is that when a feature contains curve and sql statement is used to update the 

geometry field, the expected result is not shown in ArcGIS Pro or Map service (loaded by Web Application).

But the expected result is shown in the geometry (shape) column (Displayed as WKT in dbWeaver)

This seems to be related to the gdb_geomattr_data column but I am not sure how to solve it.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShannonShields
Esri Contributor

Direct updates to the spatial column of geodatabase data are supported, but only under specific workflows, and there are still caveats. Are you writing in a shape defined as a CIRCULARSTRING or CURVEPOLYGON? ArcGIS only supports simple, densified line geometries (LINESTRING, POLYGON etc). Circular arcs are stored in the gdb_geomattr_data column, and their densified versions are stored in the shape field. If there is a circular arc version of a shape, ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro will read it, but it will not read circular arcs from the Shape field.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShannonShields
Esri Contributor

Direct updates to the spatial column of geodatabase data are supported, but only under specific workflows, and there are still caveats. Are you writing in a shape defined as a CIRCULARSTRING or CURVEPOLYGON? ArcGIS only supports simple, densified line geometries (LINESTRING, POLYGON etc). Circular arcs are stored in the gdb_geomattr_data column, and their densified versions are stored in the shape field. If there is a circular arc version of a shape, ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro will read it, but it will not read circular arcs from the Shape field.

0 Kudos
KelvinCheng
New Contributor

I see. Thanks.

0 Kudos