Unable to delete MapService

Jump to solution
02-19-2015 07:39 AM
DanielGarcia
New Contributor III

Hello,

When a try to delete or modify properties or start it, my map service tell me...

"Service 'xxx'.'MapServer' in folder 'xxx' is currently being configured by another administrative operation"

I have fount a lock file in arcgisserver\config-store\locks with the name of this map service, but its imposible to delete it.

has somebody found somethig similar??

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

10.2.x has communication issues in both single and multi machine sites that at times resulted in a persistant .glock file remaining when modifying services under load.  I usually experienced this on my production site when overwriting services when I set my min pooling instance to 0. 

When the lock occurs, you will have to stop the ArcServer.exe process on each machine and then delete the lock file if it doesn't auto-kill when you stop the site.  Killing the lock has no adverse affects.

Server at 10.3 has optimized communication between server machines - I no longer experience this lock.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I have not seen this error myself, but are you able to restart ArcGIS Server or reboot (during off hours)?  I would think that would break any connections and I would think would allow you to delete the locks.  Maybe a bit drastic though, and that assumes you have admin rights.

0 Kudos
JasonTipton
Occasional Contributor III

Is more than 1 ArcServer participating in this site? Do you have multiple clusters?

If this is just a 1 machine instance, you should be able to just restart the ArcGIS Server service on the server. That should clear it up.... If it doesn't, I would think you should be able to delete the lock file while ArcServer is down, but I don't know the consequences of doing so...

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

10.2.x has communication issues in both single and multi machine sites that at times resulted in a persistant .glock file remaining when modifying services under load.  I usually experienced this on my production site when overwriting services when I set my min pooling instance to 0. 

When the lock occurs, you will have to stop the ArcServer.exe process on each machine and then delete the lock file if it doesn't auto-kill when you stop the site.  Killing the lock has no adverse affects.

Server at 10.3 has optimized communication between server machines - I no longer experience this lock.

JasonTipton
Occasional Contributor III

David Coley Thanks so much. I'm in the middle of pushing a lot of upgrades and will be supporting more services and multi-machine sites. I've had nothing but trouble out of 10.2.2 . I've had to destroy and recreate my dev sites several time b/c they get locked up with no amount of restarting to save the day.

I'll try this the next time it gets locked up.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Sure glad I could help.

0 Kudos
DanielGarcia
New Contributor III

Thanks to all.

We stop all server machine participan in ArcGIS Server site and finaly we could delete locks files. Now everething is right.

Bye

Daniel

0 Kudos