Unable to complete operation shows up randomly on applyedits

02-16-2017 06:41 AM
ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I have a feature service that has one polyline feature class and two non-spatial tables. The problem I met is that the applyedits (add/update/delete) operations fail randomly. it gives me "Unable to complete operation" error msg. I mean sometimes it works but sometimes it fails. 

For example, I want to delete a record whose ObjectID is 8408 like the screenshot below. First time I clicked "Apply Edits", it gave me the error msg, but when I kept clicking the Apply Edits button, it succeeded the third time or fourth time. It depends. The same situation happens for my adds operation.

The data comes from directly company arcgis database. I tried to register the tables as versioned or not, but it didn't solve the problem.

Anyone has any idea about the inconsistently applyedit failures? I am very willing to provide more details about my data.

Thanks,

Shuhong

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The Server logs should give you an indication of what's failing.  Set the logs to Debug, try your workflow again, and then query at Warning on down to Debug until you get some information on why it failed.  If you're going through a web adaptor or reverse proxy, try the edit through 6443 or 6080.

ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

Thank you so much. I found out the reason by looking at the Server logs. When the edit operation succeeds, there is nothing. When it fails, it writes:

Error: Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]Communication link failure] [sde.DEFAULT]. Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server]Communication link failure] [sde.DEFAULT].

I think it is because the SDE database connection failed.

Do you have any idea why the connection is not stable and how to solve this problem? Thank you!

Shuhong

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm not too sure why that error would come up, but you can try to run an SDEINTERCEPT to get all of the communication between ArcGIS Server and the database.  You or your DBA can take a look and see if anything jumps out.