The connection property set was missing a required property or the property value was unrecognized. Failure to access the DBMS server[ ]

03-30-2023 02:28 AM
RedaAli
New Contributor III

Hi , 

When registering sql server database connection as datastore on arcgis server site an error message 

"The connection property set was missing a required property or the property value was unrecognized. Failure to access the DBMS server[ ]"

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

What version of SQL Server are you trying to connect to ? Please check that you have an appropriate SQL Server client installed on your ArcGIS Server machine, eg Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 ?

ChrisUnderwood_0-1680171124761.png

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/latest/windows/database-requirements-sqlserver....

0 Kudos
RedaAli
New Contributor III

Sqlserver 2019 
Yes I already have installed ODBC Driver 17 for sqlserver  

0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Are you able to connect to your database using that driver directly ? There are some notes on how to test that in this blog, section "Test with ODBC Data Source".

https://weblogs.asp.net/dixin/easy-ways-to-test-sql-server-sql-azure-connection

Make sure you use exactly the same server name format & user name etc as you have done in your Catalog Database Connection. You are looking for Test Data Source to show Tests Completed Successfully.

0 Kudos
RedaAli
New Contributor III

Thanks for your clarifications

Yes I can and the test completed successfully

But still I have the issue to register the connection to ArcGIS server Site

0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Are you able to log on to your ArcGIS Server machine as the ArcGIS Server Account, ie the Log On As user for your ArcGIS Server service  ? If so, please do that and repeat the ODBC Data Source test.

0 Kudos
RedaAli
New Contributor III

I'm able to log in to the ArcGIS Server machine with the ArcGIS server Account
but test failed with ODBC

0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

OK, so the problem is that the Windows user that acts as your ArcGIS Server Account cannot make a connection to your SQL Server database.

Did your failing ODBC test use Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication ?

0 Kudos
RedaAli
New Contributor III

failed with both Authentication

0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

It could be that your ArcGIS Server machine has no access to your Database machine, eg through a Firewall ? Or your SQL Server database needs to allow connections from your ArcGIS Server machine ? Or your Windows user needs elevated privileges to run the ODBC 17 client ?

Might be time to ask your IT people about this. Essentially your Windows user cannot use Microsoft's ODBC tool, to connect to your SQL Server database.

0 Kudos