Steps to require username and password for map service

Jump to solution
05-24-2017 07:34 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

What is the process for requiring (defining) a username and password for an individual map service published from ArcGIS Server?

Thanks,

RGibson

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Ok, great.

Here's what you'll want to do, assuming using the built in ArcGIS Server user and role store is OK:

a. Using ArcGIS Server Manager, open the 'security' tab.

b. Click 'roles' and create a new role - eg: Authorized Users

c. Choose a role type - typically the 'user' role is sufficient, but you could select 'publisher' or 'administrator'. If you don't want users of this service to publish services or administer your GIS Server, choose 'user'.

d. In the 'users' tab, create a few users and assign passwords. Using the dialog, add the users you create here to the role. Essentially, you'll have a 'role' container named, for example, Authorized Users. In the role container, you'll have your users, like Jim, Bob, Mary, User1, Auditor, or whatever you choose to name them. Jim, Bob, and Mary now have rights assigned to the 'user' role type.

e. Finally, you'd go back to the opening page of ArcGIS Server Manager, click the little 'lock' icon next to a service, and set the service to be secured to users that belong to your 'authorized users' role. Basically, you click the role and then click the arrow button to indicate that only people in the 'authorized users' role can access your service.

The DOC Jayanta mentioned above should help.

I don't think you have to actually provide a valid email address when creating a user in ArcGIS Server (I never do, or if I do I fake it like a@a.com). The GIS Server won't use it.

I think that's what you mean when you were asking about anonymous users - since I test internally, I make up al kinds of names, and most of them are simply 'user1' or 'user2'. I don't tie them to any specific person.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply, Jayanta. Does this apply to setting username and password for an anonymous outside user?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For sharing the services with an anonymous user, either you need to share the services as public or you need to share a login credential (e.g. a built-in username and password) to desired users.

Think Location
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How do I do setup the anonymous, built-in login credential in ArcGIS Server? The info in the link you provided above requires an email address, etc.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Russell,

I'm unsure I understand what you're after here. There isn't really an anonymous built in credential used for accessing web services. Are you looking to support a mix of public and private services, where you're using Integrated Windows Authentication and users from an AD domain? If you can explain your environment and goal, I think we could provide better direction.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply, Randall. Essentially, I would like to create a map service that, when accessed via an app, AGOL, etc. requires the user (external public or internal) to enter a user name and password. Just one user name and password would be required as we plan to provide access to a select group of users. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Ok, great.

Here's what you'll want to do, assuming using the built in ArcGIS Server user and role store is OK:

a. Using ArcGIS Server Manager, open the 'security' tab.

b. Click 'roles' and create a new role - eg: Authorized Users

c. Choose a role type - typically the 'user' role is sufficient, but you could select 'publisher' or 'administrator'. If you don't want users of this service to publish services or administer your GIS Server, choose 'user'.

d. In the 'users' tab, create a few users and assign passwords. Using the dialog, add the users you create here to the role. Essentially, you'll have a 'role' container named, for example, Authorized Users. In the role container, you'll have your users, like Jim, Bob, Mary, User1, Auditor, or whatever you choose to name them. Jim, Bob, and Mary now have rights assigned to the 'user' role type.

e. Finally, you'd go back to the opening page of ArcGIS Server Manager, click the little 'lock' icon next to a service, and set the service to be secured to users that belong to your 'authorized users' role. Basically, you click the role and then click the arrow button to indicate that only people in the 'authorized users' role can access your service.

The DOC Jayanta mentioned above should help.

I don't think you have to actually provide a valid email address when creating a user in ArcGIS Server (I never do, or if I do I fake it like a@a.com). The GIS Server won't use it.

I think that's what you mean when you were asking about anonymous users - since I test internally, I make up al kinds of names, and most of them are simply 'user1' or 'user2'. I don't tie them to any specific person.

Hope that helps.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's actually exactly what I was looking for, Randall. Thanks for the explanation and clarification.

0 Kudos
RossHavery
New Contributor II

Hi Randall,

I know its been a while since the original post but I have a similar issue but I am using a server federated with Portal so the role section of server manager doesn't allow me to add new roles. Is something like this possible with my set up?

Thanks

0 Kudos