Stand alone server upgrade - Do I need a Data Store?

Jump to solution
01-04-2022 09:57 AM
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

At some point in the not-too-distance future I plan to upgrade a stand alone ArcGIS Server from 10.6.1 to 10.9.1. The server is not part of our  Enterprise base deployment and so is not federated with portal. 

Examining what is currently installed on the server machine itself, I have an installation of Desktop 10.6.1, Server 10.6.1, and Data Store 10.8.1. When I open the Data Store configuration wizard, it says that it is currently configured as a relational data store and links to our Portal Site (which is 10.8.1). However, I can't find any other installs of Data Store that are configured with the stand alone server.

I've consulted ESRI's documentation but so much of it is focused on the Enterprise/Portal/Federated deployment model. The best I can find is this nested section on upgrading a single machine site (https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/deploy/windows/upgrade-arcgis-server.htm#GUID-3F92EFC...) that doesn't seem to reference a Data Store, and this documentation (https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/install/windows/single-machine-deployment.htm) that doesn't mentioned Data Store either.

So...do I actually need a Data Store installation for a stand alone server? The data referenced on the server will be coming almost exclusively from enterprise geodatabases - I don't believe it will need hosted feature layers, but does need to be able to have cached image map services. I'd like to avoid a situation where the server upgrade goes mostly smoothly but gets tripped up because I couldn't figure out ESRI's documentation.

10 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

You asked "what is the difference between publishing the “electricpole” service with or without having the “ArcGIS Data Store” configured?"

If you use "referenced registered data" you have to have an Enterprise Geodatabase to store your data and Server will use that. If you don't have any Enterprise Geodatabase then you have to use the "copy all data" option and that means "create a hosted service" and it stores the data in the ArcGIS DataStore.

It is pretty easy to set up your own geodatabase server using PostgreSQL. What's inside "ArcGIS DataStore" relational datastore?? It is PostgreSQL.

0 Kudos