.soe file not updating after re-upload / update

09-25-2012 07:41 AM
BrendanCollins
New Contributor II
Hello Everyone,

I have a problem updating an server object extension (10.1 / .NET) once its been deployed. 

It was working fine for a while, i was making updates to my code then re-uploading and deploying, but then it just stopped reflected the newest code.  I would restart the service which was using the extension each time. 

NOTE: If i change the name of the SOE file then the updates are reflected.  But then i need to add it as a capability to my map service again which is a pain.

I feel like i need to clear some mysterious SOE cache...but I doubt that exists.

Any ideas?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrendanCollins
New Contributor II
Hey Everybody,

I figured out the issue (btw...C#/VS2010/AGS101/Windows Server 2008R2).  While developing this SOE, I was updating the .SOE on a staging server using a python script. Here are couple items I hadn't known about ags 10.1:

1. If you change core business logic in the SOE, you can just run the update and stop/start services which use the SOE as a capability and updates will be reflected.

2. If you change any of the input parameter names (string values) of the RestOperation, then you NEED to restart the arcgis server process in the services directory:
new RestOperation("execute",new string[] { "zonesPolygonFeaturesetJSON", "wkid", "idField" },new string[] { "json" },SampleOperHandler);

I basically just confused myself because I did about 30 updates to the SOE with changes to the business logic, and suddenly when I changed the name of the RestOperation input parameter, I stopped seeing any of my changes.

In any case, problem solved.  Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
KevinGooss
Occasional Contributor
Are you saying that you needed to restart your rest service or the entire ags process?
If the latter, then doesn't that kick everyone out of their applications and desktop if they are using ags services?
Also, is there a way to put a version number or other identifying tag on your build so you can see for certain when it has changed?
0 Kudos
CollinKleiboer
New Contributor III
Hello Everyone,

I had the same problem: AGS kept using old code for the SOE.
Even though I restarted services, deleted previous SOE's and even restarted AGS itself!
I looked at the server-machine itself and nothing seemed wrong.

After reading this thread I tried renaming the soe-file and it worked for me!
Although it is a really strange action...

Thanks guys!

Note:
I created the SOE on a 10.1SP1 machine, the AGS is still 10.1 (without the first SP and running on W2008R2).

Regards,
Collin Kleiboer
GisSense
0 Kudos