Single-machine high-availability (active-passive)/(active-active) deployment steps

01-12-2021 11:17 PM
AYUSHYADAV
New Contributor III

I am working upon single machine high availability (active-passive)/(active-active) deployment. I am not able to find procedural steps as available for ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS (only the description of the deployment is given).

Where can I find the steps if available?

3 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello there!

Could you specify what you mean by single-machine high availability?

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
AYUSHYADAV
New Contributor III

Hi JonEmch,

You can get know about single-machine high availability deployment from this link https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/install/windows/single-machine-high-availability-acti... 

0 Kudos
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for the clarification,

So to start, this the single machine HA deployment scenario is only pertinent to ArcGIS Server. The idea is that you have multiple machines (at least two) that have ArcGIS Server installed. Only one machine is running at a time, and they each have their own Configuration and Site (Not a multi machine site).

The procedure would involve:

1. Installing ArcGIS Server on multiple machines
  2. Configuring directories and sites for each installation
  3. Publishing appropriate services to each Server (while taking careful consideration of data storage)
  4. Configuring a load balancer with rules that would enable it to switch over to the passive machine once the active goes down.

I would venture to say that the inclusion of a third part load balancer is why we don't see procedural steps like with other pieces of our software.

A word of caution: This type of failover scenario will not synchronize services between the active and passive ArcGIS Server. You must have a plan in place to update these on your own, making this a pretty admin involved HA deployment.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos