Sharing As Web Layer Converts Symbology To Picture Markers

Jump to solution
08-16-2021 06:24 AM
sgn_GSI
New Contributor III

I have an asset package supplied from a customer that I have deployed to my Enterprise v10.9. While using ArcGIS Pro v2.7, I staged a utility network, applied the asset package, and shared as a web layer. Before I published, I ran the analyzer and received the following warning for several layers:

sgnovak96_0-1629119024994.png

The odd part is that the layers that produce this warning are not the layers that are being converted to picture markers and giving me a problem. The customer has created symbology that involves multiple, shape marker layers. E.g.

sgnovak96_2-1629119328554.png

When I go to my Portal and open the feature service via ArcGIS Pro, the same image is now converted to a picture marker after deployment. E.g.

sgnovak96_3-1629119694320.png

I have taken my Naperville test deployment, and changed some of the symbology for features to match that of my customers, including the one shown in the example above. When I redeploy Naperville, those custom symbols I created are not converted into picture markers and retain their multi-layer shape marker format. Is there any specific setting that triggers the conversion of symbols to picture markers? I find it odd that replicating the symbols, even matching all their property settings, still achieves differing results between my test Naperville and my customer's asset package.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This is planned for a future update for Pro to publish the vector layers from point, line and polygon symbols.  These type of symbols are only supported in 4.x JSAPI applications so the Map Viewer Classic will not be able to read these and the New Map Viewer(Currently in Beta install in Enterprise) can read these symbol types.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This is planned for a future update for Pro to publish the vector layers from point, line and polygon symbols.  These type of symbols are only supported in 4.x JSAPI applications so the Map Viewer Classic will not be able to read these and the New Map Viewer(Currently in Beta install in Enterprise) can read these symbol types.

0 Kudos
sgn_GSI
New Contributor III

Thank you very much, I'm running into another issue that is somewhat related to the discussion. To start, here is an example of the custom symbology shown for the ArcGIS Pro project I am using to deploy to enterprise. 

sgnovak96_0-1629130575733.png

If I go into my portal and open the feature service layer that was just created during publishing in ArcGIS Pro, I get the following:

sgnovak96_1-1629130639874.png

Now if I share as a Web Map instead of a Web Layer, and open the associated feature service layer to the Web Map deployment, the custom symbology loads and appears as the first picture. Why does sharing as a web layer downgrade all the symbology to a grey mess for the feature service layer but does not for the web map's feature service layer?

0 Kudos