Share image service cache between different servers

11-03-2015 08:42 AM
DarkoRadiceski
New Contributor II

Dear all,

I have an image service cache - compact that i have generated using one of my old servers.

I now have 3 new servers that i am getting to use this cache.

I have copied the cache to a UNC share.

Is there any advice on the best way to get 3 separate ArcGIS server sites with their own image services to use this cache?

Sincerely

Dan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If the service name is different on the different machines, make sure to change the folder name to match (this will vary depending on the version of AGS you are using). Otherwise I think it should just work.  This also assumes that the AGS version is the same for all....that is, if you build a compact version (.bundlex) on 10.3.x, that cache will not work on 10.2.2,,,,but a 10.2.2 should work on a 10.3 I think.

It helps if you use (a copy of) the same mxd on each machine, but not 100% mandatory.  In fact, once you have the cache and it you do not plan on using it for query (i.e. only accessing the cache), you shouldn't even need reference to the data in the mxd.  I many times created the service, cache it, then remove most of the layers in the mxd to keep the service light....it just draws from the cache.

EDIT: scratch that...just noticed you are copying it to one shared drive....might work if you use that as your path to the cache and map allt he same.  I have not tried that.  But the other info might be helpful to others so I'll leave it there.

0 Kudos
DarkoRadiceski
New Contributor II

so i just need to register the UNC with each server?

the servers are all 10.3.1

i can use the same MXD. So i just go an publish the mxd 3 times from the different servers and set the cache settings. Would ArcGIS try and recreate the cache or would it just detect its there?

0 Kudos
SubuSwaminathan1
Occasional Contributor

Darko,

What you need to create is a cache directory common and registered as so in all your servers that want to share the image service cache.

I know the service name has to be same across services so that cache is recognized as the right one across all 3 servers. You might have match folder structure too across the services. If you choose the option of create cache manually in the service properties, the service will detect the cache as long as the cache properties match.

Mosaic datasets should be the underlying data storage mechanism for image services. Hope that helps.

Subu

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I the folder name is set up properly, it should just see its there.  But I would created the services as dynamic to start with, then change the folder name and refresh (stop/start) the service.  If it recognizes the path, it should just see it.  I haven't tried this method but it should work.

Just our of curiosity, is there any reason you aren't having them join the same AGS instance (terminology might be wrong)

Installing ArcGIS for Server

I only have one production machine license, so mine is it's own setup....but I create my caches on an EDN setup, then shut down the prod server service when I need replace the cache.....but I have the cache physically on each machine.

0 Kudos