Server reboots and/or changes - we lose all permissions :(

Jump to solution
07-15-2015 09:28 AM
AlicePence
Occasional Contributor II

This has happened to us before and now we have the steps to hurriedly changed the permission settings back to what they need to be, but this is kind of a pain in the butt. What usually happens is if we do any changes to our VM where our ArcGIS Server sits, we lose all of our permissions and it sets back to, what I'm assuming is default token authentication?

We use windows authentication to access our web services for our apps, and after a reboot of the server, the services all lock up and nothing can access them. There's a lock symbol next to all the services in ArcGIS Server Manager (even for me with admin rights) and my apps ask for usernames and passwords. The steps I take now (thanks to ESRI Tech support) is to go into ArcGIS Admin Directory, go to the services, then permissions and type in esriEveryone in the Allowed Principles- or do a clean and re-add it in.

Those steps fix the problem and our services are back up and running and no permission issues- yay. But, what I would like to know is why it does that and is there anyway we can fix it so when we do any reboots or changes to our server that we don't lose our permissions. We use ArcGIS 10.2

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

This also might be the following issue:

NIM102777 - When ArcGIS for Server loses connectivity to the config-store, the setting changes from 'public' map services to 'private', due to the loss of 'esriEveryone' principal.

The bug is resolved at 10.3, so following what Vince is saying, I would upgrade to 10.3 and make sure you check the patches site for relevant patches to install.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I ran into a 10.1sp1 bug (race condition during initialization) that exhibited this behavior, but a patch addressed the problem, and I have not seen the issue since upgrading to 10.2.2 eighteen months ago.  Which exact release of 10.2 are you using?  Are your patches up to date?

- V

AlicePence

I was kinda wondering if this was a bug of some sort the last time we ran into this issue. We have Release Version: 10.2 and Product Version: 10.2.0.3348 and I don't believe our patches are up to date.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

A desire to not encounter the unknown defects of a new release is understandable, but leaving a web-based software package unpatched for more than a year though several CERT-announced security defects errs on the other side of the adoption spectrum.

- V

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

This also might be the following issue:

NIM102777 - When ArcGIS for Server loses connectivity to the config-store, the setting changes from 'public' map services to 'private', due to the loss of 'esriEveryone' principal.

The bug is resolved at 10.3, so following what Vince is saying, I would upgrade to 10.3 and make sure you check the patches site for relevant patches to install.

AlicePence

That looks exactly like what the problem is!! We are planning on upgrading to 10.3 soon and will add the necessary patches if needed.

Thanks a ton!

0 Kudos