Server performance impact with Verbose Log settings

Jump to solution
04-14-2021 12:42 PM
MarkGiesbrecht
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I'm looking for some hard numbers or solid anecdotal stories of the impact on ArcGIS Server when enabling the Verbose setting for the log settings.  The documentation states that there will be an impact, but no indication of magnitude.  Is it a 5%, 15%, etc. impact on CPU and Disk I/O?

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark

MarkGiesbrecht_1-1618429199956.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Mark,

During our recent upgrade to 10.7.1 we inadvertently left our new 10.7.1 TEST servers with logging g set to verbose. Esri pointed out this error and once it was corrected we saw a noticeable improvement in performance. If I had to estimate it I would say 20%.

Bernie.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Mark, it's hard to give a percentage of impact (too many variables per system), but certainly CPU and disk space will be at the top of the list.  Memory usage will also be affected, as ArcGIS Server will be writing out each action that's taking place regardless of error code.  Over time, especially during high usage (publishing services, accessing content) a lag will become apparent.  Is there a particular issue that you are trying to solve with logs set to verbose? 

MarkGiesbrecht
New Contributor III

Thanks Reese, we're looking to enable them to gather more detailed stats via Geocortex Analytics; this is a requirement for the monitoring application to pull the counts on the services.  This is in part to gather metrics to provide guidance to our infrastructure team to justify more cores/faster CPU.

0 Kudos
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Mark,

During our recent upgrade to 10.7.1 we inadvertently left our new 10.7.1 TEST servers with logging g set to verbose. Esri pointed out this error and once it was corrected we saw a noticeable improvement in performance. If I had to estimate it I would say 20%.

Bernie.

0 Kudos
MarkGiesbrecht
New Contributor III

Thanks Bernie - an anecdotal 20% is greatly appreciated.  I might enable shortly in our DEV environment and run JMeter to simulate a load.

0 Kudos